Chapter 14: Staying

Song for the chapter: "I really like you" - by Carly Rae Jepson.

**************

With the heavy wood moving and the cold metal sliding through the hoop, the door closed, shutting Vanessa from the outside world. In the silence that landed heavy in the room, Vanessa was left with nothing but her thoughts. Her mind and heart were in turmoil and she feared the answer to the question that plagued her thoughts. What should she do now?

"Mommy." Vanessa slowly moved her head away from the front door and turned to look behind her. AJ stood at the beginning of the hallway, a thick pair of headphones hanging around his neck with his body dressed in a pair of cartoon boxer shorts and a short sleeve white pajama shirt. AJ held his favorite bedtime story book in his hands while he looked up at her with confusion worrying his big innocent eyes.

Vanessa found a smile work its way to her lips and trudged slowly towards her son. She crouched until she was level with him and placed her hands on his face, holding his round cheeks in the palm of her hands. "It's pretty late munchkin, what are you doing still up?"

He pouted adorably at her and rubbed his left eye tiredly. "I'm hungry. Can I have my dinner now?"

Vanessa blushed when she realized that with all the excitement of Cole visiting, her family hadn't had dinner yet. She nodded at AJ and gave him a quick kiss on the forehead. "Let's go then, I know there's some food Jonah had cooked earlier." AJ gave her a smile that worked at easing her worry a bit. Together they trudged towards the kitchen where Vanessa found the pot of the promised spaghetti and meatballs on the kitchen counter. She placed her hand on the side of the pot and felt it was still warm. While she set to placing some yummy smelling food in a bowl for AJ, the boy in question went to find a seat at the dining room table.

Vanessa placed the bowl of food in front of AJ and then turned to him to say, "I'm going to go get Jonah and then we'll all eat together." AJ nodded and obediently set his utensils down. Vanessa walked nervously away from AJ and towards Jonah's room. She knocked on the door and waited for him to open it.

When the door swung open it revealed Jonah standing in his room, his body curling in on itself as though waiting for a beating. "We're waiting to have dinner if you'd like to join us?" Jonah looked at her in confusion and opened his mouth to speak but before he could form words, Vanessa interrupted him by lifting her hand up. "Can we talk later? I know you have questions but for now can we all just eat?" He sighed, nodded and then followed her towards the dining room.

When Jonah's frame had entered the room, AJ's face flamed with a bright smile. The small boy leaned over his seat to reach for the nearest chair to him, pulling it away from the table. "Sit here." Jonah smiled at AJ and after gathering his own bowl of food, moved to sit next to AJ.

Vanessa watched the scene with tightness in her chest. Only moments earlier had her first love and father of her child begged for a second child while now; over a warm and delicious meal, sat her husband clearly enthralled with her son and vice versa. The pair conversed with enthusiasm about the simplest things and Vanessa was amazed at how easily AJ spoke with Jonah.

When dinner was finished and the dishes had been washed by AJ, the small boy was ready for some needed sleep but he had first demanded Jonah read to him. Vanessa was torn between being happy that her son was taking a liking to Jonah and feeling offended that her job as a mother was now being done by someone else. She always read to him but now he wanted someone else.

"Sweetie, don't you want me to read to you?" Vanessa asked AJ sweetly.

He shook his head and pointed to Jonah. "I want Jonah to. I need to talk to him." AJ's eyebrows pulled inwards in a serious look and Vanessa couldn't help chuckling lightly. She looked behind her at where Jonah stood and gave him a questioning look. He shrugged and AJ seemed to take that as an affirmation. He reached forward and with a squeal, pulled Jonah with him towards his bedroom, talking excitedly about his favorite book that was about a giant furry monster that learnt to make friends with the woodland creatures.