Chapter 7: Let's explore it all.

Song for the chapter: "In my head" - by Jason Derulo.

****************

Jonah couldn't think of a moment in his life where he'd ever had such a great time with someone who wasn't family, or a time where he'd ever felt so at ease with someone he barely knew. His social anxiety had always been a roadblock for him; a boulder in his way of progressing through the usual milestones in life.

He had been tired of living in fear, tired of stumbling over his words and shaking with worry whenever a woman would look in his direction. At first the woman he would meet would find his aloofness charming, making it a game to get him to open up to them but, overtime, their patience would dwindle along with their apparent interest in him. It hurt every time and the more women left him because of his lack of social skills, the more afraid of trying he became.

That was until Vanessa Brady, his new wife.

There was something about the dark haired woman with deep blue eyes that drew him in. At first she appeared more disturbed by him than he ever expected but now, three days into their honeymoon and five days into the marriage, she was different. He didn't know if it was her constant smile or the way she actually laughed at the jokes he told but, Vanessa was no longer playing the role of the aloof partner.

She was trying for the sake of their marriage and it made him the happiest he had ever been.

What had been surprising him the most about his marriage though was his own reaction to it. At first, Jonah had been his usual anxiety riddled self, afraid to even make contact with his stunning bride. But, as the days began to move along and they began to spend time with one another, Jonah's anxiety had become non-existent, for the first time ever.

He didn't know what it was about her and he was afraid that if he did know then his calmness would dissipate but, whatever it was about Vanessa that made him feel comfortable and safe around her, he loved it. He could be himself and he appreciated her for it.

It was now their third day at the gorgeous resort and though the first was spent catching up on sleep while the second was their first real time alone, Jonah had planned to use their third day as an opportunity to explore their surroundings, starting with a snorkel experience at the ocean's edge.

He was ready to go see what the resort promised to be a magical experience, if only Vanessa would get dressed quicker. He couldn't understand what took so long to put a costume on.

#

Vanessa was having a mild panic attack.

She stood nibbling on her fingers while pacing in front of their hotel bed, her eyes never leaving the horrid piece of material on her bed.

Apparently, the contest admin had got their families to pack their bags so that she and Jonah were able to leave as soon as possible for their honeymoon. Unfortunately for Vanessa, her mother had packed her bag rather than Annabelle. At least Annabelle would have understood her fears whereas her mother had always ignored them.

"Damn you mother," Vanessa growled under her breath, finally coming to a stop at the foot of the bed. The turquoise bikini set stared at her, mocking her from its comfortable position. There was no way she would do it. It wasn't happening.

A knock interrupted her glaring at the bathing suit, followed by Jonah's voice. "Vanessa, are you ready yet? Our appointment starts in ten minutes."

She sighed and then nibbled at her fingers again. What was she to do? She refused to put her elephant body into the horrid bathing suit but she had no alternative. Either she had to suffer the embarrassment of having her husband see her baby weight that never left or, she had to play ill and never experience the magic the snorkeling promised.