Chapter 1: The first time is always awkward.

Song for the chapter: "Today I met the boy I'm going to marry"- By Darlene Love.

***********

It had taken a lot of explaining, reassurances and begging for Vanessa's family to be in attendance at her wedding. No amount of explanations and lies was ever going to convince her family that she was doing the right thing but, it was ultimately her reminder to them that she was thirty and allowed to make her own mistakes that sealed the deal. That hadn't gone as well she'd thought since, at the mention of mistakes, her family had given her knowing looks while trying not to glance at AJ.

Vanessa had simply rolled her eyes and though she knew her family had a point in splashing her track record in her face, Vanessa had high hopes that her track record started and ended with AJ. She was nervous and scared about the Marriage Contest but, she had a tightening in her belly that suggested she was certain it would all end well.

She really hoped she was right. It was too late to go back now.

"I have to ask you again sweetie, but are you sure you want to do this?" Miriam Brady asked from behind Vanessa. Her eyes were wrinkled with worry and it pained Vanessa to know she put it there. "Think about AJ honey."

Vanessa glared at the mention of her son. Turning around to face her mother properly, Vanessa squished her eyes together at the woman who birthed her. "What do you think I'm doing? I'm doing this for AJ. I'm possibly humiliating myself on national television all for AJ!" Vanessa's voice had risen and some of the camera crew's heads had swivelled in their direction. She took in a deep breath and then lowered her voice substantially. "He needs me to do this mother. I haven't been too good on my own and the people here said they found me a match. I have to take the chance."

Miriam nodded in understanding. "It's just that, as well as this can turn out, it can always end badly."

Vanessa smiled soberly. "I know but, it's a risk I have to take. During our year contract, there will be no mention of my husband being a father. I'm going to try my best to keep AJ out of this until I'm certain it could work out. It's the best I can do."

"How are you going to keep AJ out of it?"

"He's old enough to understand that I'm marrying someone but as far as he will be concerned, my husband will simply be that, my husband. He doesn't have to like him and vice versa. I mean, it would be great if they liked each other but I don't want to force a relationship on my son and I also don't want him to get too attached in case things don't work out. I know that it's going to be hard for the both of us but, I'll never find a man to love if I don't take any risks."

"I understand sweetie, I guess I'm just afraid for you. I want this to work out but I'm worried it doesn't."

"I know mom," Vanessa said before bending down slightly to hug her mother. "I'm terrified but I know I need to do this. After Cole left me and AJ, I've been scared to try again; always worrying about how AJ would take to the men I meet. But, I can't keep being afraid. AJ is old enough now and it's time we were both brave and tried for the family I know we both want."

Miriam's eyes began to well up and Vanessa frowned. "I'm so proud of you Vanessa. You've turned into an amazing woman and whoever it is behind the curtain that you're marrying, I know that he will be lucky to have you." Miriam wiped at her watering eyes and squeezed her daughter into a tight hug.

"Oh, I hope I'm not interrupting a family moment." Vanessa lifted her head up from her mother's shoulder to see Annabelle walking up behind them dressed in an elegant empire waist magenta polyester dress. Her hand gently lay over the small bump her four month long pregnancy provided her with. She looked beautiful as always and Vanessa still found it hard to believe that the woman had ever had an insecure bone in her body before meeting Nick.