Chapter 3

I woke up in a hospital bed, in my very first hospital gown. Not fun. My eyes tried to focus as I looked around. There was a TV and some flowers and teddy bears placed in a counter on the side of my bed. Which made me think to myself. How long was I out?

"Ah! Ms. Porterson, I'm glad to see you awake." The doctor said as he walked inside the room

"Glad to be awake" I tried to be optimistic though when I tried to sit up, my optimism disappeared and I winced. The doctor pushed my back down gently.

"Not yet Ms. Porterson, from all the blood loss you'll be a lot more weaker" The doctor inquired as he filled out a paper with notes

"If you don't mind me asking... How long was I unconscious?" I tried to ask as calmly as possible; yeah no it's not working for me, for I - am not a patient person at the moment...
"Ah, considering the amount of blood you lost, just a few days" The Doctor stated calmly.

"O-Oh..." I stuttered. Just a few freakendays?! What have i missed in life?!? "When can I go home?" I say calmly although my voice cracks a little.

"Tomorrow, right now we're just making sure you're okay." The doctor nods as he looks at the time then smiles. A nurse comes in and whispers something in his ear, the nurse looked at me - gave me a warm, yet somewhat guilty smile - then leaves the room. The doctor's smile faded.

"What?" I asked as panic and fear started to reign upon me, even nervousness and anxiety, and the doctor sighed softly, then looked at me with sad eyes.

"I'm so sorry Ms. Porterson.... But, we have terrible, terrible news... Your mother.... Has passed away" He said, his voice filled with guilt and sadness.

Immediately, I freeze. I am in shock. I feel my chest being torn apart and my stomach curl up, my fingers trembled and something felt clogged in my throat; tears welled up in my eyes as I started to hiccup and cry out loud. They were loud sobs, but I didn't care; I loved my mother so much... I.... I never thought she would.... Die....

------ Flashback -------

There was a burning sensation on my knee, and on my eye where I was crying my eyes out. I was on the sidewalk, my tricycle on the side and on its side; and I was on the ground, my arm covered my face and my knee stuck out; Alyssa was 7 and I was 5, I was learning how to ride a tricycle. It didn't work out well.

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to keep my eyes off of Robyn! She just went straight ahead, then I turned my head for a little bit and bam! She was on the floor crying!" Alyssa explained as my mom came rushing out to the door and to me, she kneeled beside me and looked at my bleeding knee before picking me up and walking inside

She sat me by the counter and started taking care of my scrape. She kept saying calming things which in turn made me stop crying. She sang the nursery rhymes and smiled as she sang

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...." Her voice was like an angels' and she continued "You make me happy when skies are....?" She trailed off and looked at me as she put a bandage on my knee.
"Grey!" I squealed in happiness as I threw my arms around her.

"You never know dear, how much I love you..." She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug "please don't take my sunshine away...."

I giggled and smiled as she swung me around playfully, then set me on the ground, she smiled softly and kissed my forehead four times, she grabbed ahold of my hand and started walking me outside, and in that little while; I learned how to ride a tricycle. And when we went back inside she gave us ice cream and goodies.... Mom worked all the time, but when she had time, she had all kinds of fun with us, since we didn't have a father....