Chapter Thirty-Three: Cyra Merison

Cyra's POV

Running.

Running.

The branches pulling at my open wounds, and Gale breathing deeply beside me was all I felt.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. And the searing pain in my legs, arms, feet and neck from the fight I had with Alia. I felt hopeless. All I wanted to do was help her be herself again, to show that the Capitol doesn't  own her. To let everyone, far and wide know that the Capitol doesn't own them either.

But it was no use. Her mind set was gone, and it wasn't worth my time anymore trying to fix was so broken.

 Slowly, Gale and I neared the cave that had kept us safe for all of these weeks. I had begun to lose track of time, and I didn't know how long I had been in this nightmare.

As I shoved my way back into the cave, I felt small tears begin to dribble down my face. I kicked over our pile of supplies and fell slowly to my knees.

Gale came up behind me, and gripped me tightly in his arms. "It's okay.... breathe, you're fine..." he whispered softly.

Instead, I gripped his arms, and flung them off of me. I could feel my eyes blazing and the tears falling faster down my face.

"NO, IT'S NOT OKAY, GALE!!!!" I screamed, and began to rock back and forth.

I was terrified. I wasn't brave, and I wanted to go home. I was the youngest one this year, and Alia was right. I was just 'a little girl.' I knew nothing about the real world.

"I WANT TO DIE!!!!!" I shouted, not realizing the words that had just come out of my mouth. The sickest thing was that I meant it. I didn't want to be here anymore and the quickest way to get out of here was to die ASAP.

"You don't mean that Cyra... Think of who you would be leaving behind," Gale whispered softly into my ear, looking at me with his warm grey eyes.

That's when it hit me. What would I be leaving behind?

A father, a mother, a brother. Gale. Shawn back at home in District Four.... The violet eyes. Those would be left behind. The violet eyes that had earned me a name for myself, causing Panem to shake with the fear of change. Why would I ever leave that?

But apparently, someone else wanted me to....

Because at that moment, a sharp and high pitched squeal came from outside the cave.

I whipped my head to face it, causing my blood to fly off my face in droplets.

"Be... Very... Quiet..." Gale whispered, as he arched his back and began moving closer to the source of the noise.

As we glanced around the corner of the cave, I breathed in sharply, spotting a creature so terrible, I felt my stomach was rupturing from the inside out.

It was over seven feet tall and covered in dark hair. It had a long snout, and multiple different legs, all sprawling out in different directions. Large patterned wings spread out widely behind it's back, and it's eyes were beady and black. It was some kind of mutation. Not like the dogs ones I had seen in the years before, this was a creature that I couldn't put a name to.... But just its arrival here could only mean one thing.

There's only five of us left, and whatever one of us dies first is out... And the other four win. So they want to bring as all together so the final bloodbath can be shown to all of Panem....