Chapter Fourteen: Alia Fletson

Chapter Fourteen:

Alia's POV

Okay, I'll admit, it irritated me that Cyra had sent Cato and I running back to the campsite.

Well... if I'm going to be completely honest, it did a lot more than irritate me. It infuriated me.

There were two things I couldn't stand: failure and having someone outsmart me... and Cyra had caused me both.

However, I was not about to turn into a total Cato and avenge everyone who had enraged me. Sure, I believe in revenge just as strongly as he does, but I, unlike Cato, think before I act.

By the time we had reached the camp, we were out of breath from running so long, and nearly collapsed on the ground, out of breath.

Glomer laughed, "You two look exhausted."

"NOOO, REALLY?!?!" Cato snapped, clearly unamused.

Glomer flinched at the sharpness in Cato's voice, and turned to me. "Would you like some water?"

"That'd be great, Glomer, thank you," I answered, as I rolled over on my back to gaze up at the bright blue sky.

I sighed, as it reminded me of the sky back home in District Two.

Before I knew it, tears had slipped out of my eyes. I wiped them immediately, as I knew all the eyes of Panem were upon me... and the last thing I needed was to appear weak to the audience.

As Glomer handed me a water bottle from inside the Cornucopia, I began to think of my last week home...

Two days before the Reaping, my father was throwing a lavish celebration party to honor his re-election as mayor of District Two.

I was in my backyard training with Cato, as I did everyday, when my mother came outside.

"Alia, honey, it's time to get ready for the party," she said in her typical cheery voice.

I groaned, as I did not want to be a part of another dumb party. "Who's invited?" I asked suddenly, as I didn't want to be alone with my father's annoying work friends.

"Everyone in District Two," she replied.

Sighing with relief, I then said, "Okay, fine, I'll be there in a second..."

My mother nodded, smiled at Cato and I, and made her way back inside.

Throwing my spear on the ground, I smiled and said, "See you later, Cato," as I rushed inside my house to get ready.

About an hour later, I was dressed in a mid-thigh length, midnight blue, off-the-shoulder dress with grey patent-leather pumps, paired with silver hoops and diamond studs in my ears. My dark brown hair was sleek and straight with smoky eye makeup and pale pink lip-gloss.

Slowly, I made my way down the grand marble staircase to the main part of the party.

The first person I caught sight of was Cato's fifteen-year old sister, Jade. Every time I saw her, I couldn't help but laugh on the inside, as they looked nothing alike.

Even with a pair of three-inch heels on, I was still seven inches taller than her, not including the height of my pumps. Jade had always been on the shorter side, standing at 5'3.

Also unlike Cato, Jade could be extremely snobby at times. She treated just about everyone as if they were beneath her. However, Jade had always been kind and courteous to my family, not that I was surprised, as my father was the mayor... and Jade only mingled with those of importance.