Chapter Twelve: Cato

Chapter Twelve:

Cato's POV

"Good morning, Cato!" Alexis exclaimed in an annoyingly perky voice.

"What d'ya want, Alexis?" I groaned.

She laughed. "Oh, Cato, it's not what I want... It's what you want... Today's the big day, remember? You're going into the arena."

"Oh, right...." I sighed, shoving my face into my pillow in an attempt to block out anything Alexis was saying.

"Which means it's time for you to get up," she snapped and shoved me out of the bed.

"Was that necessary?" I growled, getting up from the floor.

Alexis nodded, clearly amused. "An Avox will bring your breakfast shortly. In the meantime, I wanted to talk to you before you enter the arena."

"Like advice?" I asked with a yawn.

She snorted and rolled her eyes. "Of course not. Honestly, Cato, it wouldn't matter if I gave you the best advice in the world. You wouldn't listen, since you think you know everything. I would be wasting my breath, and I don't have the patience for that."

"Then will you get to the point? 'Cause if you don't hurry it up, I'm gonna go back to bed."

"That won't be happening... Anyway, I came here to tell you that the news reporters wanted to speak with you before the Games officially begin. They're right outside."

"Why me...?" I asked with a heavy sigh.

Alexis shrugged. "Beats me. Stop complaining, Cato, and get out there."

With that, she opened the door and shoved me out of the room, into a swarm of eager Capitol reporters.

"Good morning, Cato, how are you?" one of them inquired in a sickening cheery tone, shoving their microphones and cameras into my face.

I raised my eyebrows at their stupidity. "Seriously? It's six o'clock in the morning. How do ya think I'm doing?" I snapped.

"That's the vicious tribute we know and love," one of them murmured sarcastically.

"Anyway, so Alia seems to have some serious pride for District Two. You, on the other hand, claim that she's the only good part about home. Care to elaborate on the matter?"

"No. Now could you please get your nose out of my business?!?" I snarled, clearly annoyed with their interrogations.

They laughed. "Sweetie, it's our job to get to know the tributes personally. You don't have a choice. Now, back to the question.... There has to be something you miss."

I shook my head.

"Not even your parents?"

"Nope."

With an appalled look on their faces, one said, "You don't miss the people who raised you?"

I snorted. "Those people haven't done a single thing for me. Now if you would excuse me-"

"How scandalous! Seems like Cato and his parents aren't on good terms. Well, that's it for today, folks! Stay tuned for the live action of the arena later today!"

Shoving my way back into my room, I slammed the door behind me.

Alexis raised her eyebrows. "What was that all about?"