Why Me?

Chapter 11

      We had been sitting in silence for thirty minutes now. No one said anything, just sat thinking amongst one's self. I was quiet glad neither man was talking. It gave me time to mull over what I had just figured out. They were scared of me, at least Micheal was. Devin I couldn't tell if it was true for him or not. In the back of my mind I knew the answer, but I'd rather think he wasn't. The spot next to me on the couch shifted. I couldn't bring my self to look at the person who had closed the distance between us.

    Devin's hand landed on my shoulder. He was trying to get me to look up or comforting me one. I doubt he knew what I was thinking. Placing his other hand on my opposite shoulder, he turned me towards him. I wanted to breakdown and just let the tears come. No, I wasn't allowed to show weakness. They would view me as pathetic, as the rest always have. My family had kept my powers a secret. Now I know why it was to keep who ever that voice, from my sister, belonged to away.

    I had always been called weak, a runt, and disgrace. Though being the tallest, fastest, and strongest in human form that wasn't enough. I had to hid my powers from others, so I was an easy target. Now, I didn't know how to keep them in control when angered, sad, or in pain. They ran wild and I felt myself give into them without worry of the consequences. How was I going to be a good Society Head or even a hunter? If I can't stay strong and in control without giving into my emotions.

“Mimi, are you listening to us?” Devin's voice drew from my thoughts.

    His hand reaching up wiping away a single tear that had escaped without my knowledge. Then with that recognition the flood gates opened. Gripping me in his arms, Devin pulled me into him. I sobbed uncontrollably into his chest. I tried several times to pull myself together. Every pain I had was now sorrow that had been waiting to be released. Devin rubbed soothing circles on my back while cupping the back of my head.

“You don't have to hide from us. We are one in the same now.” Micheal had been quiet until now.

“How am I supposed to lead or dispense law on to others? I can't even keep myself together. Everyone will just view me as the weak link as they always have.”

    It all came out in a whisper in between sniffling and sobbing. Right now I was exactly what I didn't want to be weak and frail.

“You've been through more than most do in their lifetimes.”

    “I agree with Micheal, you are strong. Showing sorrow, pain, or fear doesn't mean you are weaker than any other person or creature. It means you are strong. You care about those you love. That is not weak.”

   “You know you both speak as if your older than your age. I still doubt I can do any of this alone. How do I run a realm and be a hunter at the same time?” Both men looked at each other for a brief minute. I watched as they nodded and turn back to me. They sat seeming to be observing me.

“Mimi there is something we want to ask you?” Devin paused and waited for me to respond. When I looked from Devin to Micheal I was starting to get scared myself. It was Micheal who spoke up.

     “You see when these things happen there are rules. Most hunters hunt in groups. Since you and Devin have a special relationship. We want to know if you wanted to go at it with us? It would be easier to work from here. Instead of having to always look for shelter.” They must have already been thinking about this.

    “It would also be better to continue with training. See if you join another group then they would have to train you in how they hunt. You seem to be more in tune with how we operate.”

     I thought back to some of the things we had did to Dominic to try and get answers. Is that how they usually do things? Is that something I could live with? Going out day to day and hunting down violators. Nothing seemed clean cut anymore. There was still so much that needed to answer and I didn't know if we had time.