Power

Chapter 7

I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Nor did I know we were now not alone. Kenya sat looking at me, waiting for my answer. I didn't want this. The life I had planned out was not one that put me in the spotlight.

  It kept me in the dark and away from the fight. Guess the faiths had a different path for me to follow. I still couldn't believe in a weeks time. We had lost so much. My sister was losing her life and me, I'm slowly losing my sanity.

“You know there is only one choice and I've already made mine” Kenya had broken through my thoughts and was now sitting up.

   Maraget was holding her upright. I hadn't noticed it was actually her until then. Maraget didn't seem happy or sad. She was just there to do her job. Allowing us to see her pain would only make it harder.

“You must now accept the roles of Society Head or Hunter along with the power that was left to you.”

   Maraget's voice was hard showing no emotion. Though I could feel the sorrow and anxiety flowing off her. I took one last look at Kenya and knew it was now or never. I couldn't live without her.

“I will accept the roles of both, Society Head and Hunter. I will punish those who have trespassed upon our realm. I will protect those who cannot protect themselves. I will hunt down and destroy those who deem the Laws of the Realms below them. It is I who will be judge, jury, and punisher.”

  I don't know where that came from but once I made up my mind to take on one role and the powers the words flowed right out. Was it even possible for me to be both Society Head and Hunter. I looked up and met the gaze of Maraget and Kenya. As soon as I did I wished I hadn't.

    The look Maraget held on her face was one of terror, not for me but at me. Kenya seemed to hold the same but with knowing behind it. She knew more than she was saying. After all this was done I would have to question her on what she isn't telling me. Her face did seem to be gathering some color.

“I will leave you two to finish,” with that Maraget left.

   Kenya held out her hand to me. It was so small an frail. I was scared I might crush it, while slowly and as gently as I could grasping it in both my hands. I couldn't let her die, she couldn't leave me too. I wouldn't allow it. Just then a burning sensation ran up my arms. The same feeling I had the afternoon when we found Grams. Kenya now had both hands holding mine and was mumbling things I couldn't make out. I tried to move closer but soon realized that I wouldn't go far.

My body became rigid and pain flowed up my arms into my stomach. A scream escaped my lips as the pain intensified. My body ached to move from the burning pain that held me in my seat. The burning continued down thru my legs to feet. Then it slowly made it's way back up to my chest. The breathe I was holding came out in a wail. So loud I could faintly hear the shattering of glass.

   My throat closed up as I gasped for air. The burning reached my eyes blood red filled my vision. I wanted so badly to claw my eyes out. The burning pain entered my head and filled it with a firey burning that no man could possibly live through. I didn't know where my body began and ended the pain was to much. It had not lasted this long last time. Soon, everything went black and I could hear nothing.

*

“They both need time to heal from the passing of power.”

  I could hear voices talking but I couldn't make out who they belonged to. I wanted so much to open my eyes but they were like cinder blocks not wanting to follow my orders. I strained to hear what the conversation was that was being held around me.