Chapter 8

Marissa's POV

I sat stunned as I listened to Mr- Damon- tell me that he cares about me more than his job. I never thought it was possible. I mean, he just moved here, and we barely even know each other. There's something wrong here.

"Damon, you just met me," I said. "You met me for fifteen minutes in homeroom and half an hour in math class."

"And right now," he insisted.

"Um, what time is it?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"3:30. Why?"

"Because I still have homework that I didn't get done and I need help."

"Sure, I can help you." Thank God, I think he's over what had happened.

I reached over to my book bag and pulled out my folder that had all of my work in it. I pulled out my math homework first and decided to start on that.

I stood up and walked over to the back of the classroom and grabbed a calculator. Walking back over to my desk, I sat down and handed Damon the calculator.

"Now, help please," I said.

We spent the next fifteen minutes going over my math homework and him trying to tell me how to do it.

−5(1 − 5x) +5(−8x− 2) = −4x− 8x

That's the first problem from my homework. I didn't know how to do that shit. But he taught me how to do it, and my answer was x=-5.

"Thank you," I said, putting my math homework away. I finally understand what we're doing. It's so easy, I wonder why I didn't get it before. "Now, science."

We spent the next hour going over all of my homework from science, history, English, reading, and math. It sucks, but I'm happy that I got it all done and over with.

"God, now I feel really stupid," I said.

"You're not stupid, for some people that's a really hard question," he argued back.

"Yeah, for stupid people," I said back.

You're probably wondering what the question was right? Well, I'll tell you.

1) When was the war of 1812?

A. 1993

B. 2012

C. 1812

D. 1876

And my stupid self put "D" as my answer.

"Sorry," I said. "I don't pay much attention in my classes."

"Well, what's your favorite subject then?" Damon asked.

"Ironically, math."

"Mine too." He laughed.

"Well, I assumed since you're a math teacher."

"True, true."

"Okay, next sheet." I pulled out my English assignment.

"What do you have to do?" he asked.

"I have to write a two page on why and if I want to go to college."

"Aren't you a sophomore?"

"Junior."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'll be turning seventeen in a month."

"Cool. But if you're a junior, then why are you practicing college essays?"

"She wants to teach us the ins and outs of college essays. I don't know, and quite frankly, I don't care."