Chapter 21: Impulse

Mckenzie and TANNER PATRICKS FULL VERSION OF MERRY GO ROUND on the side! <3 

The wicked gleam in Brigg’s eyes was maniacal. His huge frame was slightly shaken as he held the gun fairly steady, quite contradicting huh? His feet on the other hand, were quickly shuffling from side to side and the sheen layer of sweat on his forehead was visible, he was clearly anxious to shoot. 

“You think you’re so clever,” he sneered, “think you won cause you took out all my men?”

I stood breathlessly still, I couldn’t piss him off especially when he was armed, angry, and most importantly, stupid. Stupid people are always the most dangerous in case you haven’t noticed and currently at the moment, Brigg’s made my top ten list of insanely stupid people. 

“You think you’ve won the game didn’t you?” he laughed humorlessly. “Cause if you do,” his voiced instantly dropped an octave, “You’re dead wrong.”

By now he had slightly lowered his aimed gun so it was no longer directed to Kayden’s heart, it was pointed at me.

“You forgot the key player in this game,” he sneered, “You basically forgot the team’s quarterback. Their pitcher. Their goalie. Their M.V.P.” He broke the three letters into syllables, emphasizing the importance. “You forgot me.”

I swallowed the uncomfortable lump in my throat as the silent Kayden shifted on my side. We were definitely screwed.

“I’m feeling mighty generous today if you will,” he started, staring intently at the butt of his gun. “Strange, you’ve given me such a rough day and yet I sympathize you.” He paused and looked us in the eye. “Let’s play a game. You get to choose. Pick a number, between one and ten.” 

Puzzled, I turned to Kayden for assistance, exactly where was Briggs going with this?

“2,” Kayden confidently stated, only to wince in pain at his wound. I bit my lip, it was being exposed in the open without proper medical equipment, it could get infected and lead to death...

“Oh pity,” Briggs pouted. “You sure?”

Kayden rolled his eyes and nodded. “Damn right I’m sure.”

“So confident,” I heard Briggs mutter under his breath. “Very well.” he intimidatingly projected his voice. Under his breath he complained. “I hate number 2. Game number 5 is Hide and Shoot and my favorite, number 8 is Russian Roulette.”

“What’s two?” I pressed, my voice violently shaking. Oh please oh please don’t be some kind of medieval torture game. 

Briggs only had to say two simple words to send me into a mini anxiety attack.

“Lion King.”

My heart started to race. We were going to be hunted, he was the predator and we were  obviously the pathetic prey. His cold eyes locked intently on Kayden. “The rules are simple. You have exactly one minute to run. Then after times up, I’ll chase you down and shoot. If you get away, you get away, simple as that.”

He turned to me with a confusingly pleased expression, a wicked smile on his face. “Seem’s to me you’ll have to make a choice Ms. Hales.”

WTF? I couldn’t register what he was implying, I was too busy calculating my chances of survival and making a mental game plan of trying to get the ever so injured Kayden out safely.... KAYDEN!”

It all instantly clicked. Briggs knew Kayden was in no condition to run, his head wound was too serious. I was given the chance to leave, a chance of freedom, a chance of life, but would I take it? It felt horrible contemplating this, how cold I must seem trying to scheme my way to freedom. I couldn’t leave Kayden, no I couldn’t. But then again, if I ran out in time, I could get help right? And run back to save him before Brigg’s started shooting. Bull shit, I wasn’t that fast of a runner despite track. I couldn’t run out and save him in time. Heck, a minute would just get me down a set of stairs, it was hopelessly useless trying to come up with an escape plan.