The Newly Wed

http://dresseslux.com/off-the-shoulder-a-line-wedding-dress-dresses-uk-shop/ (this is what the dress looks like, but she wasn't wearing the gloves and she was wearing hoop earrings.)

http://www.dicandiafashion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/wedding-updos-for-long-hair-with-tiara.jpg (this was what her hair looked like, keep in mind she's a brunette, this is just the closest picture to what I imagined)

                                                                      ~+~

The music began to play and I felt like my heart was sitting in my throat. I could barely wait. Tenten and Neji were the first to stroll down the aisle. Following behind them were Hinata and Kiba. Hinata cringed inwardly and Kiba seemed to want to run, not walk. Sakura (the Maiden of Honor) and Choji (the Best Man) soon followed them. Now it was my turn with the little flower girl leading the way.

On both side in the bright sunlight, the aisle was lined with poles wrapped in ribbons and flowers. Lamps hung decoratively from the poles. Everything was white and soft baby blue. Including the massive cake that was bedecked with sugary blue roses.

My heart slowly began to build a new beat, where it seemed to echo in my ears. I ghosted down the aisle, a sole figure. All I could see was Shika; he had a half smile etched on his face. Thank god, he wasn’t pretending to be bored.

I smoothly stopped at the end of aisle, the grass swished around my mostly bare ankles. The priest began to speak, but his words seemed to mean nothing to me until the end. We spoke when it was designated. Then the words I hadn’t even realized I was waiting for were said.

“You may kiss the bride,” he concluded smoothly.

My heart leapt into my throat, butterflies were dancing joyously in my stomach. I took one-step forward and met him half way, seamlessly as if we were one we kissed. There was a mix of catcalling and oohing from the crowd.

The congregation broke from its formal, almost religious organization and turned into a party. And we danced.

Shika muttered, “What a drag.”

“Indulge the bride for a change,” I countered.

He sighed, but he didn’t argue further.

After a while, I took pity on Shika and we left the dance floor. Now we had the job of accepting every single gift and giving personal thanks in return. It wasn’t long before I had absolutely no clue what to say and Shika chose that moment to get back at me for making him dance. Thank god, it was time for the cake.

As a tradition, the new couple both sliced the first piece of cake together. They then were supposed to feed a bite of it to each other. But it usually ended up turning into who could smear more of it onto each other’s face. As we sliced the cake, Shika had a look of dread. I of course had an expression of evil glee. I was going to smear it over every inch of his face.

We faced each other; we both held a piece of the delicately frosted, vanilla cake and watched each other. I moved first. I smashed it into his face and smeared it all over his cheeks. He sighed. And lifted his slice of cake. But he surprised me when he carefully pressed it between my lips. He really was too smart, this time it was for his own self-preservation.

No one else could hear, but he whispered with his lips painted fluffy white, “I want to live another day, if I ruined your make up either you or Mother would kill me.”

I laughed at him. He really didn’t have any easy way out of that one other than playing the gentlemen.

Dinner seemed to pass in a blur; I didn’t even remember what I had eaten. There was too much going on. It quieted again and the musicians began to play a slow dance. The crickets beautifully added to it and the dance floor was now dark. A few lamps only dimly lighted it. This was the last dance we were required to dance. It would be just us; everyone else was organizing to through rice at us as we left for our honeymoon.

“You know you’re stuck with me now, I don’t think Yoshino would let you get in a divorce,” I teased him.

We moved slowly across the floor, there was no real destination, we just moved. Above us, the stars were twinkling and glinting in a sea of inky blackness.

“It’s a drag, but we won’t have to worry about a divorce,” he answered. “I don’t commit to anything unless I get exactly what I wanted.”

“That’s good to know, I’m glad.”

We said nothing else until the song ended.

Hand in hand, we walked slowly. With dread to the waiting ambush of friends and family.

“Be brave Shika, I’ll protect you from your mother,” I consoled him.

“The man is supposed to protect the girl, what kind of man would I be if I hid behind my wife.”

I laughed at him. “I’ll retract my offer then.”

I could see the wagon and we rushed forward. Maybe we could avoid the worst of it if we moved fast… But our opponents almost completely consisted of ninja. No one missed. I couldn’t help myself, I began to laugh. I could feel the rice in my hair and a bit even slid down the front of my dress.

Then we were safely in the wagon. There was one last duty to attend to however. I stood in the frame of the door, I felt as if I was grinning ear to ear and I tossed my bouquet into the crowd. I didn’t know it then, but it was caught by Naruto, who then gave it to Hinata.  

I sat down smoothly beside Shika and I leaned against him with my head resting on his shoulder.

This was the beginning of our new adventure, as newly weds.