Some Days...

I laid in the grass outside the porch. Shika was playing Shogi and Go against himself. Contentedly, I asked him, “What would you want? A boy or a girl?”

“It’s not like we have a choice in the matter,” he responded distractedly.

“How do you know that for a fact?” I argued, “Just answer the question moron.”

“Well, a boy would be fun to have, but I’d have to explain sex to him and it would be a drag if he was as lazy as me. A girl would be more patient and mature faster, but I’d have to deal with her boyfriends. It would be a pain to have to beat up all those guys, because she’d definitely look like you.”

“Ahh, aren’t you sweet,” I teased, “but you still haven’t answered my question.”

“Which would you want?” he asked evasively.

“I asked you first, you ass,” I rolled on my side to glare at him, “Just answer the question damn it.”

“The only other person I’ve told this was Asuma,” he began.

I sat up at hearing that, a look of sadness passed over his face. It didn’t feel so warm in the sun anymore.

“This was something he asked me, about what I wanted my future to be like. I told him I wanted to get married to a beautiful woman,” he began to say.

“I know you’re lying about the beautiful woman part, you don’t care about that,” I interrupted.

“Anyway…” he continued, shooting a glare at me, “I explained I wanted two children, a daughter first and then a son. I want to grow old and retire to play Shogi and Go with my family around me.”

“That’s deep,” I struggled to say with a straight face.

“Yeah it is, but that child will be our King to protect,” he said cryptically turning his full attention back to his game.

“What the hell does that mean?” I demanded.

“What?” he answered innocently.

“Some days I think I’m going to hit you…” I scowled as I laid back down.