A New Place

I opened my eyes to see a familiar hospital room. My body ached and I felt weak. How did I get here? I was trapped and dying. Wouldn’t I remember being saved? If I didn’t know better I’d have thought it was a gen-jutsu except I’m immune to it.

“You’re awake, thank god,” a familiar voice said quietly.

I tilted my head to the side, to see Shikamaru sitting in a chair by my bed. How did I not notice him? He looked sleep deprived with bags under his eyes. He looked so happy to see me, relieved even.

“Shika-“ I began, only to realize it came out as a raw  muted whisper. My throat burned at its use. My was driven hoarse from screaming.

“Shhh… You need to rest, after what happened,” there was pain in his eyes, looking at my poor broken body.

I weakly lifted my hand a few inches, palm out. Every one of my fingers were carefully wrapped in thick bandages. It fell weakly back onto the bed. I didn’t have the energy to hold it up. Shikamaru gently took my hand, being extremely careful of my fingers.
“Kiba, Ino, Shino and Hinata freed you from the hideout. I was out on a mission, and you were so close to dead…” he broke off, his eyes becoming glassy.

I weakly shushed him. My hand tightened as much as I could around his.

I felt my eyelids getting heavy and I didn’t resist, I just let them slide shut. Quickly falling into another deep sleep, but not before he lightly pressed his lips against my feverish forehead.