Out and About

Stretching, I slipped out of the hospital bed. There were only slight aches now where before there had been constant pain. On the chair was a stack of my clothes. I was finally being released from the hospital. On the condition that Shikamaru kept a close eye on my health.

I pulled on my leggings and camisole. I slipped over my head the soft but sturdy over shirt, it hung off one shoulder loosely, just how I like it. Next was one of my many patterned shawls, today in many shades and patterns of oranges, reds, browns and gold threads.

I finished dressing by sliding my boots on. The very last thing to do would be to braid my hair. But when I reached back to braid it, a dull jolt of pain slid down my shoulders and back. A reminder of one of the injuries I had sustained.

Just then Sakura walked in. She noticed my dilemma right away and motioned for me turn to turn she began deftly twisting my hair into a long braid. It felt good, her fingers lightly kneaded my hair and skull. A nice sensation compared to my injuries.

“Are you looking forward to your wedding? I know I am and it’s not even my wedding!” she said conversationally.

“Yeah, I’m kind of in shock it came up so fast. We’ll need to get our dresses fitted one last time before the wedding,” I rubbed my hands together excitedly.

“I’m so glad to be one of your maiden of honor. Hinata and Tenten are also extremely glad to be your bridesmaids. Hinata is nervous, obviously and Tenten is… well Tenten,” she continued.

“Hinata will be fine, she’s beautiful. I’m certain Naruto will notice her, if he doesn’t…” I drifted off warningly.

“He’ll hear from me, no questions asked,” she growled under her breath.

I laughed warmly, and a few seconds later she joined me.

She just finished tying it off when Shikamaru entered. He was ready to take me back to my place to finish packing. I didn’t have much left to pack. After I finished we’d head over to his family’s house and have dinner.

He looked a little nervous, probably from the laughter. He had a healthy fear of women, especially overly happy or ornery ones. Just another sign of how intelligent he was.

“Hey,” he said cautiously. Waving one hand at Sakura he slouched his way over to me.

“Hey,” I replied, holding one hand up in the air for him to grab.

He sighed dryly as he hoisted me up, Sakura stood up as well. She held her hands in front of her smiling happily.

“Take care of her Shikamaru, I’ll come after you personally if she gets hurt,” she warned, but gently with a smile.

“Yeah, yeah,” he waved it off, “I have no intention of letting her get hurt anyway.”

I grinned smugly. Sakura smiled as well.

“So then, I’ll see you later this week Nyla at your bridal shower,” she said as she headed out the door, probably to visit some other patients.

“Are we going?” Shika asked. His shoulders were slouched as usual.

“Yeah,” I nodded at him.

“’Kay.”

We walked quietly down the hall. His shoulders were as usual hunched and he had a bored expression on his face. We exited the hospital quietly. I was content to walk quietly next to him. Just to be out of the hospital and with my fiancé. The normal smells and sounds of my home village were comforting and welcome.

Occasionally he looked over at me, the farther we walked the more relaxed he seemed. It’s too quiet now.

“You’re enjoying yourself aren’t you?” I teased.