Little Bump

I rested my hand on the little bump on my stomach. It wasn’t very big yet, just enough for people to notice but not much more than that. It was going to get a lot bigger. I tried to picture what our baby would look like. Would it be a boy? Or a girl?

A warm hand reached over mine. It distracted me briefly from my thoughts. I looked over at Shika. He looked distracted too. I moved my hand over so he could feel it. The baby wouldn’t be able to kick yet, it was just such a marvel to feel and imagine.

“Can you imagine, in half a year you’ll be a father,” I whispered.

“Not really, right now it’s hard to believe that’ll grow into a baby.”

“Trust me, it will,” I smiled sleepily, I nestled further into his arms. After a few minutes I felt my eyelids become heavy and I drifted to sleep.

           -Shika’s P.O.V.-

I felt Nyla’s breathing slow down, until finally she was asleep. Her head nestled in the crook of my shoulder. I felt my hand roam over her smooth and slightly raised stomach. At the bottom was the old scar, inflicted by on that horrible mission.

But she was such a strong person, a mother and a wife. I would protect my family, and the next generation as Asuma wanted. With that in mind I fondled Nyla’s silky brown hair until I fell asleep too.