First Day Home

I opened my eyes and yawned, stretching my arms up in the air. Next to me, Shika grumbled under his breath, “What a drag… my mom isn’t here and I’m still getting woken up.”

“Eh, think of all the things you can do awake,” I teased.

A growl rumbled loudly next to me. We both jumped. I looked over at Shika. He had the most ridiculous look on his face.

“Was that you?” I whispered.

“Yeah, what a drag. I don’t want to get up.”

“You moron,” I scolded “You’re lucky today, I actually feel like making breakfast.”

I crawled out of his arms and out of bed. I padded barefoot over to the clothing I’d dropped on the ground. Quickly I pulled my underwear and nightgown on. I knew with my luck Yoshino would decide to make a surprise visit to see how her son was doing.

I continued barefoot across the polished wooden floor. The floor was pleasant to walk on until I got to the kitchen, the moment I stepped on the tile I jumped. It was so cold; I tiptoed across the tile, hating the slight cold draft. We hadn’t shut the windows last night so when it got cold last night our house became cold too.

Moving quickly I pulled a handful of eggs out of the fridge and set them on the counter I dug a pan out of the mess we called a cabinet and began cracking the eggs. Right about then Shika made an appearance walking in with a loosely tied robe; it slid open loosely revealing his muscular chest. There were a handful of pale white scars on his exposed skin.

“You lazy ass, you didn’t even bother to tie it right.”

I dropped the last egg shell into the trashcan and finally walked over to him to retie it. I bent down and quickly began to untie the sloppy knot. When I went to step away and check the eggs I found I couldn’t.

His arms wrapped around me and I leaned into him, our lips locked passionately. I became lost in his soft, warm lips. His warm hand caressed the side of my face gently. When we broke apart I felt a sigh escape my lips, his hand rested briefly on the side of my face.

“You know I love you right?” he murmured.

I felt a strong surge of love roll through me, my heart felt so swollen that it’d burst from love and happiness. That was, until I remembered the eggs.

“Shit!” I turned abruptly and hurried over to the eggs, just in time to turn the omelet over and save it from burning.

“That’s not usually how people respond to ‘I love you’” he teased, plopping down into the nearest chair.

“Well, that’s how wives respond when their pain in the ass husbands distract them from cooking.”

He smartly chose that moment to remain silent. Sometimes he was too smart for his own good.

Soon I finished preparing the omelet and split it neatly in half for us to eat.

“Here, you lazy ass,” I set his plate with a fork in front of him.

“I should have married Hinata. She at least wouldn’t call me such horrible things like you do,” he taunted.

“Hinata is dating Naruto. She would have started a war if she wasn’t with to Naruto,” I pointed out. I did not rise to the bait.

He sighed; he had a pinched look on his face. Like he didn’t think that one all the way through.

When I went to walk by him to wash my dish he tugged me into his lap and I settled there willingly.

“Let’s try this again, troublesome woman,” he propped his chin against my shoulder and whispered in my ear, “My dear wife, I love you more than anything.”

“Hmm, much better. I love you too,” as I said that I twisted around and pecked him on the lips while carefully loosening his arms from around me. I stood up and went over to the sink to wash my plate.

“Would you get my plate too?” he asked hesitantly.

“No,” I answered bluntly.

“Please…”

“A no is a no,” I persisted.

“Come on, a wife should be ok with washing the dishes.”

“Not this wife. And that’s final.”

While he grumbled under his breath about what a drag it was and about a troublesome wife, I headed back to our room. I grabbed my clothes for the day and hurried into the bathroom to shower and get around for the day. Quickly I stepped into the hot cascade of water; it quickly began to steam up around me pleasantly. By the time I stepped out the air was thick with moisture and it felt wonderful against my bare skin.

But I had to get dressed for the day even if Shika wouldn’t mind either way about how much clothing I wore around the house. He really was a lazy ass.

I pulled my clothes on quickly and headed back out. Shika was laying on the bed staring out the window at the clouds. His robe had come almost completely undone, probably on purpose since he was hopping in the shower next. 

When he saw the steamy bathroom he said “Troublesome woman, there’ll be no hot water left after you got done.”

Go find out,” I teased back. I went into our little office like room.

“Troublesome…” he began. But the door slid shut behind me, cutting off the end of that sentence.

I smiled dryly at that and then I went to finish my report, there were two kinds of reports. The ones you wrote at home for minor missions and the ones you told in person for important ones. I’d just finished an extremely minor mission, almost childish really, right after we returned from our Honeymoon.