Night Talks

After we finished eating I went to get up to wash the dishes but once again discovered that my extra weight made it difficult. As I finally maneuvered myself upright I went to grab my plate only to discover Shika had already grabbed it and had begun to rinse our dishes.

“Wow, someone’s feeling chivalrous today!” I commented, resting one hand on my swollen stomach.

“What a drag, don’t forget to add those spices to the soup.” he answered, changing the topic.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m on it.”

I began to sort through our rack of spices for the ones I need for the curry. Originally they had been in a spice cabinet higher on the wall, but with my belly I began to have trouble reaching it.

Once that was done we walked together to our bedroom.  With some difficulty I began to change for sleep, to the side Shika was changing too. But he finished much sooner than me and silently he stepped behind me and helped slide the hem of my nightshirt into place.

I leaned back into him and his arms wrapped around me as well. I could hear him breathing softly into my ear and i smiled. For a few seconds, maybe minutes we just stood there breathing in unison quietly.

But we had to break apart in order for us to get in bed. After I levered myself awkwardly into bed Shika flipped the lights off and walked around to his side of the bed. I felt the bed shift slightly under his weight.

He pulled the blankets up and over both of us. I turned as best I could to look at him in the dark, and he took the time to move closer to me, somehow my head ended up resting on his shoulder and arm.

His other arm circled around my waist, his hand sliding up my shirt and resting directly on our baby. She kicked lightly under his fingers and I felt him smile.

“She likes you, talk to her.” I whispered, even though I hadn’t done much today I could already feel my eyelids getting heavy.

“What would I say? I don’t even have name for her yet.”

“So? She won’t even understand us after all she’s just a baby.”

“How do you know she doesn’t understand us? You’re not a baby.”

“Just talk moron,” I tucked my head into the crook of his shoulder. “Maybe suggest names to her or something I don’t know I’m not the genius.”

I began to fall asleep, but not before I heard Shika begin to talk to our child.