Him

Katie's POV

A laugh echoed off the walls.

I looked around and started to panic. I was back. In the house. In the basement. I suddenly noticed my hands were tied behind my back. I tried to move but couldn't. Suddenly He came down. But He wasn't alone.

"Dylan."

He smirked as my voice broke. "Well well Katie. I brought you a little friend." He was holding Dylan's hands behind his back, forcing him to come closer.

Suddenly, He reached behind him and pulled out a gun. Dylan struggled to get free. "Please! Please don't hurt him." I pleaded.

"Why? It's not like you remember who he is." He chuckled. I looked at Dylan as tears streamed down my cheeks.

"I wish I could." I whispered. Suddenly His face came into view. As clear as day.

"You'll never find me. You'll never be free. And you'll never see your best friend again." I let out a scream as He pulled the trigger.

"No!!!" I screamed as Dylan's lifeless body fell towards me. I tried to move towards him but my hands were chained to the wall. "Dylan!!!! No!!!"

Dylan's POV

"No!!!" I woke instantly to Katie screaming. My heart dropped as I looked down to see her tossing and turning in my arms.

"Katie, wake up." I pleaded. I started to panic when she didn't wake up.

She continued to toss and turn causing my heart to speed up. I could practically see the beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"Katie," my voice broke. "Please. Please wake up, baby. Please." I gently brushed a piece of hair behind her ear as I whispered, "I love you."

Suddenly, her eyes fluttered open. "Dylan?"

"Hey," I said catching a tear with my thumb. "It was just a dream okay? You're safe. I promise."

"It was Him. He killed you."

"What?"

"The man. Him. He killed you. I couldn't stop it. You. . . You were dead." She said the last part so quietly, it gave me chills. I sat up and turned so she could see my face.

"Katie." My voice made her look at me. I was surprised how calm I sounded. I grabbed her shaking hand and placed it over her heart. "You feel that? You're alive. He isn't going to touch you. Not again. You're safe. With me." I moved her hand so it was now on my heart. "You feel that? I'm alive. I'm safe. He didn't touch me."

"Your heart is beating really fast," she said looking at my hand on top of hers.

"That's because you scared me." She looked up at me and I could see how tired she was. "My heart has been beating like this since you went missing," I said quieter. She looked up at me, clearly having heard me.

"I'm sorry." I held her hand tighter as she said those two words. The two words she didn't have to say. He did.

I couldn't help but look at her lips, wanting more than anything to feel them against my own. When I looked at her eyes, I discovered she noticed me looking at her lips. I used my hand that wasn't holding hers and brushed a piece of hair behind her ear. Without thinking, I started to lean in. My heart skipped a beat when she started to lean in too. I pressed my forehead to hers and took a deep breath.

"Katie," I whispered as I leaned in. Suddenly the door opened, making us jump apart. I felt my cheeks burn as the officer stepped inside.

"Hello, Miss Katlynn," he said like he didn't just interrupt anything.

Katie's POV

I bit my lip as I felt Dylan slide off the bed as the officer took a seat. As I sat up, I could feel my cheeks burning. I look towards Dylan to see him fidgeting with his fingers and messing with his shirt.

The officer started asking me questions, one after another. There were a few questions I could sort of answer, but most of them I couldn't. The whole time the sheriff was asking me questions, Dylan didn't look at me. There was a tension between us that I wanted to get rid of. I know I don't remember him but I know one thing; I didn't want to lose him.

"Okay, last thing. I have some mugshots. I want you to look at them and see if you recognize anyone." The room seemed to freeze as he held out a file for me to take. I went to grab it but pulled my hand back.

"I can't. . ." I felt a hand gently touch my arm. I turned to see Dylan looking at me with soft eyes. He scooted closer as I took the file.

I took a deep breath before opening the file. I looked at each picture closely and carefully. I let out a sigh as I slowly got discouraged.

"None of these. . ." I froze. My eyes widened and my heart stopped. The room started to spin.

"Katie?" Dylan tried to get my attention but I couldn't take my eyes off the picture.

"It's Him," I whispered. My hands shook as I picked up the picture. Everything came flooding back, almost as if someone had broken a dam, allowing the water to come rushing through the city.

"Miss Katelynn?" As the officer stepped towards me, I panicked. Before anyone could stop me, I threw off the blanket and ran. I ignored the calls that echoed off the hospital walls. I'm not sure where exactly I was going, but all I knew was that I needed to get away.

"Katie!! Wait, please!" I turned to see Dylan running after me. I turned a few more corners before coming to a stop at what looked like a janitor's closet. I threw open the door and ducked inside. I tried to take deep breaths, but the fumes of the cleaning supplies were making me dizzy. I collapsed onto the floor and hugged my knees to my chest.

I jumped when there was a knock at the door.