xxii.

Melanie had been curled up onto Penelope's couch in her office

Melanie had been curled up onto Penelope's couch in her office. She hadn't spoken one word since arriving to the BAU. She was trying her best to be strong with all of this but there were too many thoughts running through her head. Penelope and JJ had been trying to tell her that Spencer was innocent but knowing that he was lying to her this entire time made her want to think otherwise.

Melanie felt the couch sink. She looked over and saw Penelope who was giving her a small smile.

"Wanna hear some good news?" She asked her softly.

Melanie sat up and nodded. That's the only thing she needed at the moment or maybe something to go back in time to prevent Spencer getting arrested or for Scratch existing.

"Spencer's coming home. They were able to get him released from Mexico's custody. The team's on their way back." Penelope told her.

"What's the bad news?" Melanie whispered. "I know there's bad news, P. It can't be that easy to convince Mexican officials that Spencer didn't do...what he did. There's still gonna be an investigation."

Penelope sighed. "You're right. There will be. He'll probably spend a few nights in jail and when the hearing comes around, the best we can hope for is that when a trial comes around, he'll be put out on bail."

Melanie ran her hands over her face. "How can we be so sure, P? I mean...didn't you say he's being charged with not only smuggling drugs but intent to distribute?"

Penelope bit down softly on her bottom lip. Noticing the look on Penelope's face, Melanie could tell there was more.

"What is else there P?" She asked.

"He...he's also being charged for murder." Penelope said softly.

If Melanie's eyes could've widened anymore, they would've popped out of her sockets. She felt like she had to throw up.

Murder? Mellie questioned in her head. Spencer wasn't capable of doing that. Drugs, maybe. Who knows but murder? That was way beyond Spencer's reach.

From what Melanie has heard from the team, Spencer wasn't much of a fan of using his gun.

"You gotta be fucking kidding me." Melanie muttered. "Why the hell is this happening?"

"It's what we're trying to figure out, Mells." Penelope said softly.

Melanie couldn't help the tears that ran down her face. She tried so hard to stop them but it seemed endless. Watching her friend sob the way she did made Penelope's heart break. There wasn't much she could do except for pull Melanie into a tight hug. She rubbed her back to try and sooth the other girl.

JJ had peeked her head into the room and frowned at the sight of the sobbing girl. The blonde couldn't help but to feel bad for her. Things have been going really well for both her and Spencer and now who knew where things would be for them. Melanie had been patient with him for the longest time and JJ doubted that she would wait for Spencer if he was thrown into prison for a really long time if they weren't able to prove Spencer has been framed.