xvii.

The next few nights at home had been hard for Melanie Alvez. The number of panic attacks that has happened in the middle of night, the uncontrollable sobbing, and the constant fear of being taken again flooding her mind. She felt like an absolute burden even though this is what was expected to come out of it when it came to trauma. She hated that both her brother and boyfriend were worried about her and having her on their minds when they're away on cases. Maybe her brother wasn't as bad since it's his job to look after her but with Spencer...he had already enough on his plate with his mother.

Melanie had decided to take a leave of absence from work to take time for herself and she was glad that her job had been understanding about her conditions. She spent most of her time working on her laptop from Sam's room at the hospital. Although she hated being in hospitals, she much rather spend the days with her best friend and being alone seemed to always be the trigger of her panic attacks.

"You know, maybe seeing a therapist to talk about it wouldn't be that bad of an option." Sam suggested as Melanie finished telling him how she'd been feeling. She never got around to telling him really how she's felt since what happened.

Melanie sighed softly and ran her fingers through her hair. It wasn't a bad idea but she wasn't sure if she could find the courage to do it.

"I think about it but you know me. I'm hard headed as hell and would rather take care of myself." Melanie told him.

Sam chuckled softly. "You could say that again."

While the two continued to talk, the doctor walked in and had cleared Sam to go home. Words couldn't describe the excitement Sam was feeling when he heard those words. It was a good thing that Melanie had stopped by his apartment to get some of his things, including a fresh clothes just in case he would be released from the hospital.

"How does it feel getting out of prison?" Melanie teased as Sam walked out of the bathroom from changing.

"I feel like a free man with a little bit of pain on the side. Nothing pain killers can't fix." Sam replied.

"If you get addicted to them, I will personally kill you myself." Melanie said.

Sam rolled his eyes as he watched his friends gather his things together. "Where's your fed brother or fed boyfriend to hear all this coming from you so they can throw you in max?

Melanie grabbed his things along with her own as she linked her arm with her friend to help him out. "I'm too adorable to be in prison. Also if anyone knew I was dating, or related, to a fed, I'd probably be knocked out. From my understanding, prison ain't no Linchfield."

"Weird how tv shows put a certain perception for people. Aren't we lucky that we live in the real world and don't have to put on some kind of facade that we live a cool life?" Sam said as the two started to make their way out of the hospital.

Melanie let out a soft laugh. "I think you getting shot is making you a little cocky."

"It's a good war story to tell the ladies though. No one could resist that." He said with a smirk.

Melanie rolled her eyes as she helped her friend get into her car once they reached it. "I'm already resisting. I'm only here to help you out because I'm a really good friend and you can't say I haven't done anything for you."

"Thank you for keeping me company this past week. I'm sure you had some other things to do like...I duno, hang out with your new boyfriend." Sam said as Melanie got into the car.

Melanie chuckled softly. "You're right. I could've been hanging out with Spence but I feel like such a burden, y'know? I mean first he's worrying about his mom and now he has to worry about me? That's a lot for him to handle. And I know he's a strong person but -"