iv.

Melanie was happy the following day: she had a day off work. She hardly ever got time off of work - only because she was a complete workaholic and her job was her life. But even on days off, she still tried to work from home. Always working on pieces and finding out what was new to stay informed. There was really no such things as days off for the girl. Melanie let out out a sigh and placed her laptop onto the coffee table and did a small stretch. Roxy pranced her way over to Melanie and nudged her arm. Melanie giggled and began to pet the four legged animal.

"I'm taking a break, sweetie. Don't worry. I should be relaxing which Im trying but it's so hard when there's so much news to cover." She told the dog.

Her phone that had been laying on the coffee table began to vibrate. Melanie reached over to grab it and smiled brightly when she saw Spencer's name on the screen. She pressed the green button on and placed the phone against her ear.

"Dr. Reid, what do I owe this pleasure?" Melanie asked, leaning back against the couch.

"Miss Alvez, I was wondering if you wanted to have lunch? There's not much to do right now and was planning on leaving early." Spencer told her.

Melanie nodded her head, even though he couldn't see her action. "Yeah! I'm off today so I should be at our favorite spot in an hour or so."

Spencer was biting down softly on his bottom lip. He was nervous to say that he wanted to have some place different for lunch. He doesn't know why he was nervous when it came to his friend. Girls in general often made him nervous but for some reason Mellie gave him a feeling that he hasn't felt in a long time. The thought of her made his heart race and his palms sweat. At first he thought it was because she intimidated him, and maybe because it was in a way, but when he thought about it she's done nothing but make him feel comfortable about himself and his interesting traits.

"I-I was actually thinking of something different today. It's a really nice day outside and maybe we could get something off a food stand and enjoy a nice day at the park? Is that something you'd like? If not that's totally okay and -"

Melanie laughed softly and cut off the rambling agent. "It's completely fine Spence! I'm totally down for that. I'll see you in an hour yes?"

Spencer smiled. "Yes, I'll see you in an hour."

Melanie said her goodbye and hung up the phone. She got up from the couch and made her way over to her room. She picked out a simple outfit that consists of a pair of black leggings, a gray t-shirt, and a pair of white canvas shoes. She put on a little bit of eyeliner but huffed softly when she looked at herself in the mirror. She felt like her eyeliner wasn't enough. Melanie bit down softly on her bottom lip as she looked through her makeup bag. She ended up putting on a little eyeshadow, blush, and mascara.

Why am I even doing this, she thought. It's just Spencer.

While she was contemplating taking off her makeup to start anew, she got a text message from Spencer.

meet me at rock creek park. bring a jacket. it might get cold later. depending how chilly it gets or how long you wanna stay i duno.

Melanie giggled softly at the man's text. He was never a big texter unless he was busy at work or needed to quickly tell her something. She preferred talking to him on the phone which is rare because she didn't like talking on the phone at all. It made her feel nervous and mostly every time she talked to someone on the phone, the conversations were always so dull. But with Spencer, not so much. She could talk to him for hours.

The girl then requested an Uber to take her to the park. She walked over to her closet and grabbed a denim jacket and wrapped it around her waist. When she got a text saying her Uber had arrived, she grabbed her phone and her purse and said goodbye to Roxy before walking out the door.