Chapter Twenty-Eight

"What??" I started coughing and spluttering.

I hauled myself over to my father, who was knelt over Nik.

"Nik, we're saved!"

He was lying there motionless.

"Nik..we've made it..we can be a family again."

He didn't move.

"Nik.....Nik!!" My dad felt for his pulse. "Kass, I am so sorry."

"No..NO! He's fine, Nik wake up....wake up!"

I started screaming and crying.

"Nik, wake up...we are going to be a family."

My 'mother' dragged me away.

"Nik..no..put me down...he needs me...Nik!"

I was dragged out of the cave, kicking and screaming as Nik lay there still. Dead.

I fell onto the ground in hysteria.

"Noooo!!! Nik, we were going to have a child...and our life was going to be pefect.. Nik, I need you."

Tears stained my face, he had wasted his last breath on me... I remember his smile as I told he we were having a child! I remember comforting him as his brother Henrik was murdered and I remember the first time he told me he loved me in the forest in England. People saw him as a monster but he wasn't he was just misunderstood, he was my best friend, my lover and my husband. I felt so empty, I cried and cried until I felt like I had no tears left.

Lots of people arrived, over the next few weeks to offer their condolences but I wanted to be by myself, the only person I wanted to talk to was Nik. And now that could never happen...

I had dreams; so many dreams about Nik. I never felt alone, I felt like he was watching me - guiding me. I dreamed about him every night, each dream would be different but he would always be in it, taking me to places.

In my last dream, he took me to a beach and he told me how I and the baby was all I needed. The next day, I woke up with sand in my shoes, I know it sounds crazy but I felt like, my dream was real. I stared at our framed photographs on the wall of me and Nik, and I felt myself smiling. Suddenly the baby kicked, maybe it was responding to it's father.