Chapter Two

Then the wolf charged.....

I stood frozen in fear as the beast charged towards us. Suddenly Niks handed clasped mine as he pulled me up into the tree he was now stood in. Instincts kicked in, as Nik hauled himself up branch upon branch, lifting me up after him.

The beast below growled ferociously, Nik had saved my life. My Nik.

"Are you ok my love, I am so sorry, I've been so foolish, I should have known it was a full moon"

He wrapped his arms around me tightly as if he would never let go again.

I wiped a tear from his eye as I kissed his cheek longingly.

"Nik please, I'm ok, you musn't look at it like that, see it as you saved my life, my hero." Suddenly the tree began to shake as the werewolf rammed into it.

Nik cried in shock as he manoeuvred up to the next branch. He always was good at climbing.

He held out his arm to help me up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to grab her but it was too late, she slipped and screamed as I only just caught her by the hand.

She was dangling over the edge, her face was full of terror and despair.

My love, my all. My heart had never pounded so fast.

"I've got you, I will never let you go. Not now, I will not lose you when things have finally worked out." He cried.

I leaned further over, using both of my arms to pull her up.

Then she screamed in pain as the wolf leapt up and clawed at her leg.

"Nik, please hold on." she screamed.

I tried to lift her back onto the branch but the wolf, the sick evil demon had grabbed her. My grip slipped as she fell onto the floor. The creature jumped onto her biting and slashing her frail body, I jumped down to help her.

Her cries and screams weakened.

I coulnd't bare to see such a defencless beautiful soul be attacked for fun.

"Get away from her!" I screamed as I grabbed a fallen branch and threw it at him. Suddenly I wasnt afraid, all I cared about was her safety. The beast snarled but ran off as the moon dissapeared behind the clouds.

I fell to my knees beside her. Her dress was ripped and in tatters. Blood was everywhere.

I buried my forehead into her waist as I cried over and over again.

"Nik." She croaked.
I grabbed her hand, she was still alive!

"We could have been great, you and I. Us against the world. I love you so so-"

Her head fell back.

"No. Hold on Kass, please."

I scooped her up and carried her lifeless body into the village. "Help, please anyone!" I broke down in tears as people crowded round her. I fell to my knees, still holding her tightly.

Her dress was ripped and her hair was messy but she still potrayed a picture of beauty. Her blood stained my hands, and I tried to apply pressure on her wounds but there were too many injuries. My mother came out of our home and looked distraught, only last week had the wolves killed my beloved brother Henrick, I wouldn't let them take another life.

Especially not hers.

Many more people crowded round and I heard distant voices but I couldn't make out what they where saying.

"Mother, please do something". I cried, I was inconsolable.

Her magic was powerful but I had only seen her heal a cut, never anything like this. I cried and cried as my mother muttered her spells.

"Niklaus, if I heal her she will only live till the age of nineteen, as a payment for defeating death! No one can truly live forever without paying the price."

"No." I screamed, it finally dawned on me that I would never grow old with her, have her children or hear her laugh everyday beside me.

"Please mother can't you make it so I die instead, this isn't fair. It wasn't meant to be like this!"

My mother stared at me in shock, finally realising how much I loved her. She wasn't some little fling, she was my world.

"Nicklaus that is a serious statement to say!"

"Mother I mean it please!" I stared deep into her eyes.

"Nicklaus, I can't and if I could I would never reverse it anyway, you are my son!" Anger tore through me.

"I hate you mother! Do you understand how much I love her? I know it was your idea to betroth her to Sir Olivier. Why would you take her away from me. WHY?" I screamed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to find myself in Niks hut. I was laying on his straw bed. It was most profound for me to me in his room, never mind in his bed.

Nik suddenly sat up beside me.

"My love, oh I am so glad to see you. I haven't left your side since that dreadful night."

Something wasn't right, I could see it in his eyes, he was full of sadness.

"I'm alive." I choked. He nodded sadly.

"Nik whats wrong?"
I looked down. "You still love me don't you?"

"Nothing sweetheart, nothing at all. Kass of course I do, not even the God's above would dare to take away my love for you."

His eyes were different, there was no longer a twinkle in his eye. I embraced him with a cuddle but I shivered at his ice cold skin. He pushed me away.

"Nik, ww..whats... happened to you... you're different." He stared at me with sadness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew she would notice, she's the one person who knows me most of all. How could I tell her that my mother had turned me into a monster....

It had been three weeks since the accident, three weeks waitng for my love to wake up!

I repulsed myself for wanting blood, one time I had been tempted to bite her... and for that I will never forgive myself!

"Kassie....I'm a monster.." I said bursting into tears like a pathetic child.

"No,no my love, what's happened? You could never be a monster."

I told her about the extraordinary measures my mother went to, to protect us from the werewolves. She listened intently as I told her I was a vampire, a blood drinking immortal. I saw no fear in her eyes.

"You're still the same, my love!" She moved closer to me, my breathe hastened.

"No, I'm not...I am a monster, yesterday I nearly attacked a man for blood..."

"But you didn't. That's the difference, you are still the same man Nik, I still love you!" I grabbed his hand into mine.

"WELL YOU SHOULDN'T!!!" I slammed her against the wall and clasped her neck, as I felt my eyes change. I saw the fear and sadness in her eyes as tears began to pour. "This is why I have contacted Sir Olivier Lawrence and have brought your wedding to a closer date. It's best for you to keep away from me. I am so sorry."

I ran off leaving her clutching her neck and gasping for breath. I had harmed my love, I would now make sure I paid for it....