Chapter One

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any of the characters from the Vampire Diaries, only my own characters and other new characters that may appear later within the story.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nik, come on" she shouted as she laughed to herself.

"You can't catch me Niklaus!" She called, darting beyond the trees.

I smiled as I saw a silky material poking out from the side of a tall fern tree. I crept on my tiptoes towards her and I grabbed her from behind as she laughed shocked.

"Found you, my dear Kassie, I told you I would find you." I held her tighter, and leaned my head onto her shoulder as she playfully struggled against me.

"Oh really well you haven't caught me yet, catch me if you can!" She screamed, lifting up the hem of her dress as she darted around the foliage.

We chased each other around the forest as disapproving onlookers shook their heads at us.

"Kassia, what on earth are you doing, running around!" Her mother screamed at her, before grabbing her by the arm and pulling her away from me.

"Oh the shame of it, young ladies do not run around they help around the village, do you understand? This is not expected of you."

I hated seeing Kassie being shouted at, it was all my fault. Seeing the twinkle fade from her eyes broke me inside.

"But mother me and Nick were only playing." She insisted, bowing her head down in shame.

"Stay away from that boy, Kassia!" Her mother glared at me as if I was a peasant and she was my Queen.

Kassie hurried into the hut after giving me an apologetic look.

1 year later

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kassie, when we're older, lets get married."

I giggled at Klaus' proposal, I was only seven years old and he was eight but he was my best friend, and I always assumed that we would be betrothed as our families were very close.

Nik's family were in charge of our village but my family had a high ranking also. I adored Niks family; Rebekah was always kind, we would do each others hair and Elijah was funny, when he wasn't being so serious! Mikeal and Esther were ok, I suppose but they always argued. Kol would always pull my hair and Finn was very quiet. Nik had once told me that they used to live in another place in Europe, where they fled from the plague after losing a brother, I was so glad they had fled I don't know what I would do without my Nik.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I approached her hut, I was nervous seeing her which placed me immediately on edge, as I was never nervous to see Kass.

"Kassie my love" I called.

The canvas door which hung above her tent swayed in the breeze as she stepped outside, wearing a beautiful dress. Her long brown hair was braided at the top and her piercing blue eyes shone like the evening stars.

"You have great beauty." I said handing her the flowers I had picked for her,(roses her favourite), she really was an English rose; my English rose!

I led her into the woods and we stopped in the heart of the forest.

"Why are we here Nick?" She asked, as she sat beside me upon some moss.

"I have something I've wanted to tell you for a while now, Kassie. Something I've always known. And now I hear Sir Olivier wants you for himself and the truth is.. well, just the thought of losing you kills me."

Her eyes were tearing up as she took my hand in hers.

"You will never lose me Niklaus. I'm not going anywhere. If mother makes me go ahead with this betrothal then we'll run away. I promise." A tear glided down her cheek.

"Don't make promises you can't keep my love."

"I won't marry him Nik, I won't. I swear by the Gods, my heart belongs to only you."

I pulled her closer towards me.

"I love you." Once the words were out I could finally relax. The words that I had waited to say all my life had escaped my lips.

She placed one hand onto my cheek.

"And I Niklaus, love you."

I gazed into her beautiful eyes and and placed one hand onto the back of her head, touching her silky hair.

I stared at her tempting rosy lips, they looked so soft. I wanted this more than anything.

"My lady I don't want to impose but may I-"

She cut me off smiling as our lips touched. I was drawn in. My hands running through her hair as her hand caressed my cheek. I wanted more, I wanted to make every part of her happy but I wouldn't bring shame to her like this.

Eventually she pulled away. She blushed a crimson colour, making her look even more sweet

"My love, will you do me the honor of"...HHHHHOOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLL!

Suddenly I noticed the full moon, we were deep in the forest far from my village and it's safety. I looked at my dear Kassies terrified face. The colour had drained from her rose kissed cheeks.

Blinded by love, I had forgotten about the eclipse tonight.

I clasped her hand as we ran.

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw him. The wolf.
His hollow eyes were staring at Kassie evily. We were trapped I couldn't outrun them. It was too late.

He prowled closer and closer to Kassie, snarling and growling.

I stood in front of her, trying to protect her. Not that I could stop him.

Then the wolf charged....