A Pirates Life for Me

Summary: AU. Dan, the son of a merchant sailor, is captured on accident, by the feared Captain Lester, the baddest pirate to sail the seas, since black beard himself.

Warnings: Violence, adjacent to the time period, blood, BC pirates, cussing, and just imagine piratey things.

WC: 3759

Dan stared out at the bleak and gray ocean, captivated by the gentle lapping of waves, the vastness of the sea that went on for miles. Ships, large and small, were sailing by, the shout of brawny men, breaking the what would have been peaceful silence. Dan loved it, though. Loved how the sea smelled of salt, and the ships smelled like mildew and oak. He was enamored with everything the sea had to offer. The gentle, and sometimes harsh, rocking of the boat as the waves crashed upon it sides. He felt like he was flying, all his problems melting away as the ocean spray washed over him. He was at home on the wide ocean, never once missing land. He grew up on the sea, and he was sure he would die on the sea. Even that thought made him smile.

Dan was broken out of his thoughts by his father's voice, calling out to him from the starboard side of the boat. Dan untangled himself from the netting, climbing down from his view above the sails. He slid down, gripping the netting loosely, until his brown boots hit the deck of the ship. He walked quickly to his father, who was waiting, somewhat impatiently.

"I told you to unstack the crates from the last port over two hours ago, Daniel." Scolded his father, the captain of the S.S. Hawthorne.

Dan looked down at his boots, scuffed and worn from constant wear and tear. "I must have lost track of time." Dan relayed, "I just noticed something on the horizon and went to investigate."

His father, try as he might, couldn't stay mad at his son. "You remind me, far too much of me, my boy." His father chuckled lightly, "Which is never a good thing."

Dan smiled sheepishly. "I'll go do it now." His father clapped him on the back, "There's a good lad."

Dan started toward the stairs that led below deck, where they kept the merchandise and goods to be sold and traded throughout the ports they stopped at. Dan began organizing the crates, placing them in their rightful order. Dan's mind wandered, like it often did. His dad crept into his mind, he was always told that he was the spitting image of his father. Tall, almost too tall to even out his small and skinny frame. He wasn't frail by any means, but he was skinny, years of work and maintenance on the ship guaranteed that he was somewhat muscular, just like his father. His brown hair fell into his eyes, and curled when the moisture in the air acted upon it. Dan felt proud when people compared him to his father, glad he could come close to being even a fraction like his dad. His father was a hard worker, an honorable man. Dan was proud of his dad, he hoped his dad was proud of him too.

Dan looked over at the crates that had been properly dispersed, nodding in approval. It had taken less than an hour, and that was his last chore until after dinner. Dan took the stairs to the main deck two at a time, rushing to see the sun on the horizon. He loved the way the sun stained the sky and reflected off the ocean. He sighed, leaning against one of the masts, holding up the sail.

"It's a right sight to behold, in'nt?"

Dan jumped, but caught himself in time not to seem to foolish. It was one of the crew members he worked with regularly, Sully. He was an older fellow, more like the grandad of the group, but he knew these waters better than anyone. He had been nearly everywhere, seen everything, done it all. He helped Dan do his chores when he had time, and Dan enjoyed it when he and Sully were partnered up on cleaning days. He always learned something new.

Dan nodded quickly, "Its beautiful."

Sully nodded, and pulled a pipe out of his pocket, striking a match off the flint he had. "I actually came out here to tell ya something, lad."