13~Nasty Habits

The island is no longer at peace.

The skies above no longer scream with bird calls nor shine with the radiation from the sun; neither do the trees gossip in the brutal wind high up in the grey sky above the damp ground.

A war is coming.

The island can feel it.

She hopes to protect us by allowing myself and Peter be able to feel the stings and pulls of magic being forcefully dragged from her heart. The way they take it without permission causes her to scream and cry in agony, whilst they chop at her life line of the trees and bushes as the adults storm through the jungle like bulls in a china shop. The island is to be respected and protected. She is a living thing and relies as much on us as we do on her to survive.

These adults have caused an imbalance. A toxic poison bleeding into her heart. Killing her painfully without mercy.

An end must be put to this.

Peter had erupted into fury when Felix had returned with a large bump on his head after being knocked out by Baelfire. The young lad has grown, in age and ferocity. In his younger years the boy was scared to lift a finger, too scared he would become like his farther. Much like his own son.

Too innocent and gullible to see the real dangers of life.

Peter had given Henry a little pep talk, after having ordered me to stay away in case the boy poses a threat to my existence.

So to change the tune we needed to hurry Henry along. He needs to believe in his cause. The gullible cause. To save magic. Really, he's saving my Peter. Giving him the power he deserves.

Peter and I once again joined in the dancing around the scorching fire pit with our fellow brothers and sons. Everything seeming so insignificant when it's just us as a pack, as a family, moving to the banging of the drums and the songs in our heads.

The forest around us coming alive to our whoops and cries as our energy seeps into the air around us.

My dancing is suddenly interrupted when Peter takes me into his strong hold and picks me up, spinning us around so the warm evening air cools our sweating skin.

A small giggle escaping both our lips as we dance close to each other with the fire illuminating our faces and casting shadows across the trees surrounding the camp. My bare feet kicking up the dry earth as our movements flow as if we were water in a river. Taking my hand Peter spins me gently under his extended arm before pulling me close to his chest to lead us around the fire.

After a while, when the sun had set and the moon has arisen high in the sky, Peter dismisses himself to go and speak to Henry again. He needed to believe this was in celebration for him. Really it's for my return. But also to see if he can hear the pipes. If he can. He's ready.

I don't think he'll be able to but Peter thinks Henry can. Impatient as ever. And with the return of Baelfire and numerous other strong wielders of magic such as the Dark One and Evil Queen; time is of the essence.

"Dad's paranoid they'll take you again," I her a familiar voice of Robert behind me. Smirking I pull him from the circle of dancing lost brothers, his own younger brother leaping and crying into the night sky without a care in the world.
"It'll take a lot to get me this time. " I sigh with a glance to Peter, crouched down beside Henry on the other side of camp as I take a hand fully of berries from a bowl amongst the food stores we have. Robert taking a handful too, both of us popping a few into our mouths as we walk to a quieter area of the camp and sit on a well worn log.
"It'll take a lot to break us apart again" I smile at him as I empty the last of my berries into my mouth before wiping my hands on my black leggings. Smiling lightly, I nervously take my sons free hand nearest me and place it gently on my stomach, "I'm not letting this family be torn apart again" I promise as Roberts eyes widen in realization at my promise and meaning behind my words.