Chapter 31

Demi

It wasn't seeing his face, that stopped me dead in my tracks. I froze because he was holding my daughter the same way he held me as a child. Right before he'd put his hands in my pants or up my skirt, telling me that my daddy said I had to do this or he would be very mad. Seeing this monster, with his hand on Mercy's knee, made my blood run cold. I felt like I was turned into stone. I couldn't move for a moment. I also couldn't take my eyes off of my daughter as she innocently looked up at this man, a little unsure. I felt a little sense of relief seeing that my daughter had her father's aversion to strangers. Nick was apprehensive at times & he was a great judge of character. My stomach turned, making me feel like I would lose my lunch. I had to protect my baby, but I was paralyzed with fear. Thank God, Nick was there. He knew the moment he saw my face. He didn't need me to explain. That's how amazing he is & how well he knows me. He would save our daughter.  

I watched Nick pick Mercy up with determination & aggression. The way he looked at this man who stole my light, was frightening. As I watched Nick, a huge part of me was hoping he would strangle the guy. That's the only way I'd feel a complete sense of relief. Yes, I was a warrior. Yes, I had thicker skin, but honestly, I always feared seeing him face to face. It didn't consume my everyday living, but it was always there inside of me .  

I never took my eyes away from the scene in front of me. I saw Nick walking toward me with both of our children, Mercy, safely in her daddy's arms. I glanced one more time at the criminal who never paid for what he did to me. He was watching me with a sick smirk on his face, like he was remembering me as a child. I felt shivers travel through my body as I looked at Nick, who now looked concerned. His eyes met mine for a moment & I felt safe in his gaze. He would protect me. I didn't have to be afraid of the demon that sat, smugly, in a lawn chair. Not only was I stronger than I was, when he devastated my childhood, but I had my Superman. My husband, my hero, my protector who made me feel safe just by existing.  

Nick passed Mercy & Jered off to my sister & Rob, then put his arms around me. As he turned me, I stole one more glance at the beast & the smirk was still evident on his face, but this time a little more sinister. My legs were weak as I held on to Nick, while he led me through the house. As we walked, Nick dodged the concern or my sister would shake her head. Amber came running after us. 

"Oh my gosh, Demi, what's wrong? Are you okay?" She asked, panic in her tone.  

I wanted to speak, but I couldn't find my voice. I was afraid I would scream instead of talk. Thankfully, Nick answered for me. "Amber, I'm taking her home. She'll be fine. I'll make sure she calls you tomorrow."  

Amber smiled at me, giving me a hug. As I walked away from her, I caught Ashlynn, my niece's gaze. I stopped to let her hug me, then let Nick lead me from the house. I saw Dallas & Rob putting the twins into our car & I rushed to Dallas as she was walking toward her car. I grabbed her arms. "You aren't leaving, are you?" I asked, finally finding my voice. 

Dallas nodded. "I'm not staying here with him in there."  

I shook my head, violently. "No, please, Dallas. Our niece is in there & all those other kids. You need to keep an eye on him. None of those people in there know what he did to me." 

Dallas tilted her head & sighed. "Okay, I'll stay, but I'm telling Amber. She has the right to know about this monster." 

I bit my lip, nervously. "I guess it's okay. She's our sister. She has a right to know." I hugged Dallas, then Rob, then got into the car. I was starting to calm down now, thank God. Nick got into the car & the moment after he fastened his belt & started the car, he grabbed my hand, giving it a little squeeze. His smile comforted me, telling me I was safe & that he would never let anyone hurt me ever again.