Chapter 7

Demi

I actually really loved being back in L.A. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much, but I really was an L.A. girl. Don't get me wrong, I loved my dream house in Texas & loved living there, especially with the twins. But in L.A. I loved it without the twins. Whenever I went somewhere without them, I missed L.A. even more. It really was a beautiful city & I missed having my morning coffee or meditation session, on my patio, overlooking the smog of Hollywood. I could get used to living in both places, even if it was a pain in the ass to travel back & forth. I knew it would be hard, too having two residences with personal items in both places. I'd get annoyed when I realized I left something in Texas & have to go buy one for L.A. I had two of everything it seemed.

I had fun having play dates with Olivia & Blanda. It was nice to be close to them again. Joe & Blanda were actually considering moving to Texas & had been looking at houses, but I wasn't confident Joe would move. He loved L.A. way too much.

While I was in L.A. I did a few tv appearances & did some interviews, as well as visit my guys at the studio to talk music. I was itching to get back in the studio to do a new album. I met with my book agent, too, who wanted to sign a two book deal with me since my other books did so amazing on the bestsellers list. This time, they wanted me to do a book about my love story with Nick & a book on being a mom. I told them I had to think about it. They wanted me to be very candid in both books & I needed to discuss it with Nick before I agreed. He may not want me to talk about our love in that context. It would be easy to write since I had either wrote songs or journal entries nearly everyday of my life since I could write. I decided to wait to talk to him about it until after his rehearsals were all done & he had a few weeks free before the shows started in L.A.

Nick was super busy with his rehearsals, but usually had the weekends off, which was nice. We could have fun with the babies, taking them to the park or teaching them to swim. The weekend between mine & Joe's birthdays, Blanda decided to throw a party & Nick offered our house. They invited all of our friends & family & Nick invited almost the entire cast of the play & some of the crew & production people. He wanted them all to meet me. I was looking forward to seeing Samantha. I hadn't seen her in a long time. She was really sweet & I always liked her. Her & Nick stayed good friends after they stopped dating & I know they talked or texted often over the years. Sam was looking forward to meeting the babies, according to Nick. She told him she couldn't wait to marry her fiance & have babies of her own.

The night of the party, a Saturday, my mom took the twins to her house in L.A.. Maddie was helping out. She loved her niece & nephew so much, it was hard to keep her away sometimes. It was great now that Maddie was old enough to fly alone or drive herself places. Maddie wasn't even upset when she wasn't invited to the party. It was an adult party with drinking, so I thought it best that she didn't come.

Of course, the party was fun at first. It was great meeting all the people that Nick had been talking about over the last several weeks. Hanging out with Sam was cool, too. I heard all about her fiance, even though he was in London for work. She seemed really happy. She deserved it.

Nick wasn't drinking much at the party, but Joe had enough to drink for the both of them. I couldn't believe he was 30. Where had the time gone? He was having fun at his party, though. I wondered if he was getting depressed about being thirty. Something was different about Joe these days. I noticed he was changing a while ago. He & Nick didn't hang out as much as they used to, but I noticed Joe wasn't his normal funny self, especially over the last several weeks.

I saw Joe & Blanda sitting in a few chairs out by the pool, talking, so I decided to join them. I sat in a chair next to Joe. "Hey, birthday boy." I smiled at Joe as I sat in the chair.