Chapter 6

Chapter 6 – So caring is selfish? Good to know!

Sirius’ POV

“Look I can explain.” Alexia says pulling her shirt up to hide the three glistening cuts.

“You would want to explain and take your shirt off completely because there has to be more than that otherwise you wouldn’t have made such an effort to hide them.” I can feel the anger bubbling inside of me.

“Fine.” She sighs taking her shirt off, it’s more than just a couple of cuts there is roughly about twenty on each arm and they are all long and deep. “You weren’t meant to find out.” She whispers moving away from me I can see tears welling in her eyes, what happened to the strong girl I used to know because this isn’t the Alexia that I’ve known for my whole life she’s fragile and weak.

“Lex I’m not mad at you just worried about you.” I say softly but she just shakes her head at me.

“You should be mad at me I’ve been nothing but horrible to you this year.”

“You’ve always been horrible to me.” I say trying to crack a joke but I get no reaction, not even a weak smile.

“Please don’t joke.” She says, she is already half way across the pool of water looking around for something or someone.

“Tell me what’s up with your arms then.” I snap.

“I honestly don’t know what I’m allowed to say.”

“What in the name of merlins left testicle does that mean?”

“It means I’m in trouble, big trouble something really bad happened over the summer and someone is out to get me, it’s to do with the curse at the party.” Her voice is shaky.

“What do you mean?” I ask running my hands through my hair.

“It means chances are I’m going to be dead by the end of the year and there is nothing you can do about it.”

“No that’s not going to happen you can be protected.” I can hear the urgency in my voice I sound really desperate.

“No you can’t Sirius please understand that the most selfish thing you can do right now is try to protect me.”

“So caring is selfish now is it? That’s good to know but if I’m being selfish then maybe you’re a coward you can’t even tell your best friends what’s happened to you out of fear.”

Alexia’s eyes light up just as I finish talking, I don’t mean it but I need to fire her up to get her to tell me what’s going on. “I’m sorry for being a coward because it’s so cowardly to protect your best friend from someone that could very well kill him. It’s incredibly cowardly to let someone try to destroy you for that friend. I’m not the coward; I’ve faced more abuse in the past three months alone in the last three months than you James and Remus have ever faced in your lives. I’ve spent nights alone in London hiding from those that are trying to find me. You want to know what I know, well hear it is no one is safe anymore not even at Hogwarts. There is death eaters here too and one of them has targeted me so don’t you ever call someone a coward Sirius Black until you know some of that persons story!” Oh I’ve pissed her off big time, her cheeks are bright red, fists curled into balls and her eyes are wild.

“Fine you’re not a coward but you are certainly more selfish than I am.”

“Yes I’m selfish and completely unstable but everything I do I’ve done to protect the people I care about.”

“If you really cared you would tell me who you’re protecting me from!” I shout. I’m getting more and more annoyed by the second.

“Do you not understand what I’m saying I actually can’t tell you, you think that if I was able to I wouldn’t have already? The only thing I have been able to tell you is to never trust a rat and you can’t even piece that together! Don’t bother coming to Hogsmede with me it’s not worth your trouble hanging around a selfish coward.