Chapter Four

Chapter Four (Kyler's POV)

Ash wasn't dead.

Of course he wasn't dead. I should've known he wasn't dead, and it wasn't Scythe fault. It was Jack's. It was always Jack's fault. I should've figured Ash would easily make it out of the explosion, like a fucking cockroach.

I had been there when Jack had operated on Ash. I remembered it because it was the highlight of my stay with Jack. I loved seeing Ash scream in pain, writhing on the surgical table like he was in complete and utter agony. I relished in it, but of course, he'd lost a lot of blood and when a vampire loses blood, he wants some in return and I had become his personal blood bank.

I didn't want to think about it anymore as Remi and I treked out of the ruined building for his truck. We were just about to reach it when I felt his hand clamp on my shoulder, spinning me around. I hissed at him as a response, backing away from him. He held up his hands, but I could sense his frustration.

He wanted to know what was going on.

I would too, but that involved telling Remi some things that I'm sure he didn't need to know...

Maybe I could bypass them?

Oh God, why am I even debating this?

He's nothing but a mangy mutt... Who just happens to have an education. A stab of jealousy struck me hard at the thought. I felt the same way when he had told me he'd gone through school and then off to college.

It wasn't fair.

I'd always wanted to go to school. People complained about it all the time, but I could never understand it. Why wouldn't someone want to be smart? To know the world around them?

There I go with the whole angst episode.

I took a deep breath as Remi stared at me with those bright green eyes of his.

"Kyler. I need to know what this is about. I have the right to know. There's a murderer in my town and I want to protect not just my pack, Blood Rain, or the humans, but you. I don't care how long it takes, but I'm going to keep telling you that I love you." He stated firmly. I stared at him.

Why was he so intent on this?

This desperate for a fuck or what?

"Look, I don't know what your game is. Actually, yes I do. If you wanted to have sex, you should've just said so. Don't act like you want something more," I responded bluntly, "Don't give me some bullshit excuse. Just ask for it." Remi suddenly looked offended.

"Excuse me? Who the hell said it was for sex?"

"Everyone."

"Well, I'm not everyone. Don't make assumptions about how I feel. I know how I feel, especially about you. This isn't about me wanting to get in your pants, Kyler. I just... seriously love you, but it's your option to accept me or not. And as much as I would like to rant about this, I need to know who this murderer is and how he works."

"To do that, I need to tell you about me and I'm not trusting you with that kind of information," I snapped, surprised by my hostility, "I can handle this myself. Ash doesn't give a shit about anyone else. I know for a fact that he's trying to draw me out. I'm going to find him myself and kill him. I don't need you riding my ass the whole way, screwing everything up. Because that's just what you werewolves do. You screw everything up until it's unrecognizable and I won't deal with your shit anymore. I'm done. We're leaving." I whirled around, heading to the other side of the truck, throwing the door open and hopping in.

Remi looked utterly peeved there for a minute and I figured he'd jerk me out of the car and clobber me, but he surprised me by staying silent and getting behind the wheel. He backed up and started out of the driveway.