Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Kyler's POV)

It was dark.

I remember specifically. I was sitting in the corner of a small town cafe, sipping hot coffee filled with Irish creme. I was wearing a tattered old jacket I found in the lost and found bin at the town hall. A pair of old jeans I'd been wearing for the past year or so, but I made sure to wash every day. That was pretty much all I had at the time.

The air was rich with the scent of coffee and donuts, but I only had enough money for the coffee.

Besides, I know I'd get a donut anyway.

The man I was waiting for told me he would.

And as soon as I heard the bell jingle at the door, I knew who it was. I looked up, smiling with relief at the sight of him. He saw me and smiled, taking long, confident strides toward me. He wore an attractive silk suit, his dark hair slicked back and his matching eyes glinting with the anticipation of our meeting.

I was excited too.

I knew what he was going to tell me.

Today was the day that Jack Runningwolf was going to tell me I could live with him. He'd finally managed to move into a larger home and he'd shown it to me too, but never let me inside. He said the fumes from the paint would be too strong.

"Hello, beautiful. Did you wait long?" Jack asked, leaning over to kiss me on the forehead before taking a seat at the table, gesturing for a waitress to come over. I shook my head, clasping my hands tightly around my coffee mug.

"Did- Did you finish the house? I mean, not that I want to bug you or anything." I added quickly. Jack smiled warmly, reaching across the table to place his hands over mine.

"Of course it's finished, Kyler. Wait until you see it. It'll be big enough for both of us. And I'll use the left over money to send you to school." He promised. I blinked.

"School?" I asked in disbelief. I hadn't gone to school before. The idea of actually sitting with a bunch of strangers unnerved me, but at the same time, I was excited because now I'd know what was what.

"Jack, you're so good to me. I can't thank you enough. I don't know how I can ever repay you for this." I managed at last, withdrawing my hands. Jack just seemed to smile even more. My heart fluttered in my chest and I wanted to reach across the table and kiss him, but I refrained and merely sat there as the waitress came over and Jack ordered a donut for both of us.

My stomach twisted and clenched with hunger as the waitress nodded and went to fetch our food.

"You can thank me by accepting my feelings," Jack said softly, reaching out to take my hands again, his thumbs stroking my knuckles, "I love you, Kyler Mercy. You're so beautiful, so intelligent, so intriguing. Being away from you for one night alone is enough to drive me insane."

I loved it when he spoke like that. It actually felt like I was worth something. Having lived alone for as long as I can remember, it was so nice to hear that someone actually cared.

"I love you, Kyler. I'm here for you, forever and always." Jack murmured, reaching out to cup my cheek. I closed my eyes, sighing at the feel of his warm hand on my cheek before he withdrew to take our order.

I tried not to scarf down the donut, but I was starving as I hadn't eaten since breakfast of yesterday. Jack didn't mind, though, and just smiled at me.

"You have powder on your cheek." He smirked, leaning over the table and licking the corner of my mouth. I felt the heat of a blush creeping up my neck to my cheeks. He slipped his tongue over my lips and into my mouth, kissing me deeply.