Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen (Kyler's POV)

(Warning: Contains sensitive material that may be offensive to some audiences! You have been warned!)

I took the long way to The Mockingbird. I went around the border in my true form, hoping it would give Remi enough time to grab everything we would need.

I surprised myself with how excited I was. I wanted to sprint all the way there, but I managed to keep myself at a steady trot. I wanted to give Remi time, at the same time, I wanted to hurry up and get this over with. My heart still felt heavy at leaving Scythe and Zaid.

They'd done so much for me and all I'd given them was trouble, and a thank you.

If I were rich, I'd of left behind a fortune.

But I wasn't rich. I was still poor. Money wise anyway. All I really needed to be happy now was Remi and I felt my heart leap as I paused to stare up at the silver moon that stared down as a witness to everything below on the Earth.

It made me wonder what Remi and I were going to do about our mating ritual. Were we still going to take part in it or did he want to wait longer until we were settled on our feet?

You're not a woman, quit worrying. A voice in the back of my head scolded. I sighed, resting my feet as my tail flicking across the leaves. I scanned the sky, watching the stars twinkle and glitter around the moon in a dance of dust.

The air was cool and smelled of fresh grass and water. The lake nearby filled the air with a wet, cool scent that felt good on my cold nose. I lowered myself down so I was lying down, my tail swaying as I laid there and waited for a bit longer.

It was almost time.

Remi and I were going to leave Moonstone.

And go where?

I honestly didn't care, so long as Remi was leading the way. I would follow him to the ends of the earth. And to think, not too long ago, the thought of being around him disgusted me, but I had only told myself that out of fear.

Now, Remi was my everything and it made me ache to be far away from me.

He wouldn't mind if I was early, would he?

I rose to my feet, shaking the dew off myself before I began to head for The Mockingbird. I had only went about several feet when I heard it. 

Snap!

I froze at the sound of a twig snapping under a boot. My senses were flaring into action, my muscles taut and tail swishing dangerously. I scanned the woods, drifting over the trees and brush that cast eerie shadows across the moonlight's glow.

A faint scent touched my nose and I withdrew from it, laying my ears back threateningly as I saw the source of the scent shifting in the shadows. I bared my teeth, growling low in my throat to frighten off whatever idiot decided to get close to me, but as I let the scent waver through the air, it hit me that whatever was stalking me wasn't human.

My fur bristled and I gave a gutteral meow of warning, my eyes searching quickly, trying to find the shadow that had moved on its own.

It had to be a werewolf, I deduced as I crept backwards toward a large oak tree. I paused, searching quickly before I started to move when something caught me in the side.

Bolts and bolts of electrical shocks shot through my body, making me gasp at first. My paws stretched and pulled painful into human hands, then back again, before turning back to human hands. I groaned and slumped to the ground, hissing and writhing.