Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Remi's POV)

Something was wrong.

I knew it the moment I realized Kyler hadn't shown up. It'd been two hours. Where was he? Something ached in my chest. I knew something was wrong. I could smell it on the air. It was thick and heavy with dread, a layer of fog curling through the town.

I couldn't sit here and wait anymore. I had to find him.

Was he still at the Luna Plantation? Maybe he was still saying goodbye or decided to pack something?

But what if he stepped in a trap? What if he's hurt?

I hated all those conflicting thoughts in my head and tried to push out all the scenerios as I got back in my truck, heading toward the plantation to find my mate.

Maybe it was the connection between us that told me something was wrong.

It had to be.

I could practically feel Kyler squirming, his aura a faint glow in my mind's eye. Every fiber of my body burned with alarm and worry. I didn't like this. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Kyler was supposed to show up and I was planning to take him somewhere colder, somewhere he wouldn't be so uncomfortable.

Snow leopards were used to cold climates.

He wanted to be somewhere he was safe, comfortable.

I drove up the driveway to see all the lights on, giving the clearing around the plantation and eerie glow as the barn and trees cast shadows across the lawn. I parked just outside the barn and got out, heading up to the door. I knocked and waited before Scythe answered, looking surprised.

"Remi? What're you doing here?" He asked, confused. I frowned.

"Kyler. Is he here?" I asked. It was Scythe's turn to frown, his expression puzzled.

"No, he left earlier to meet you at The Mockingbird. He's not with you?" He asked. I felt a cold chill go up my spine.

"No. He was an hour late, so I came to see if he was still here. You haven't seen him?" I managed, feeling the panic settle in. Scythe looked unnerved too.

"That's weird. Really weird. He left here, telling me he was off to meet you. That was the last time I saw him. I'll get Zaid and the others to see if we can find him, wait here in case he shows up while I'm gone." He commanded, then rushed for the stairs, yelling Zaid's name.

I felt my heart pounding with worry, echoing in my ears as I paced on the porch before pausing to look up at the sky.

The moon was painfully close to full, seeping past the wisps of cloud above and giving the forest an almost blue tint. The stars glittered like tears in the velvety black sky and I felt like they had witnessed something bad.

My skin crawled nervously and I bit my lip, trying to stand still, but I was impatient, nervous, worried, sick. Where was he?

Where was my leopard? Where was my mate? Where was my Kyler?

I tried to take deep breathes, but I couldn't settle the feeling that something awful happened.

Please say he wasn't dead. Please, please.

The thought was terrifying.

Scythe finally came downstairs with Zaid, Kylan, Alek, and Lars. They all looked rather grim as we piled out onto the porch and I informed them of the situation. It was about the end of my explanation when I smelled something.

"Blood." Zaid whispered, looking ill. Everyone else passed sickened stares before looking out to the forest. The smell of fresh blood was heavy and it burned my nostrils. I felt a bit of the panic letting loose as I quickly scanned the woods, sniffing the air.