Chapter 30

A couple weeks had passed since the wedding and the newlyweds took off on their perfect Spanish honeymoon, and it was finally the day that they were coming home. I probably could have forgotten this fact if it weren't for my kids. They missed their auntie and uncle something awful. For the weeks leading up to the wedding, they saw them nearly every other day. It was like quitting cold turkey when they left, and now the kids were driving me up the wall.

It was written on the calendar and circled. Ryland and Karlee are coming home Friday.

Avelyn woke me and Rocky up thirty minutes before the alarm was supposed to go off. She bent over and her head hovered over me. "When do we get to pick up Uncle RyRy and Auntie Karlee?" she whispered.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and checked my alarm clock. "Avelyn, really?" I sighed and she batted her eyelashes at me. "Go back to your room." Rocky rolled over and cuddled himself close to me, chuckling lightly.

Just as Avelyn was making her way out, we got another visitor. Mason tiptoed in and crawled up onto the bed. Rocky, who was usually the most upset when his sleep got interrupted, buried his face into my neck to muffle his laughter. "Momma?" Mase whispered.

"What is it, my boy?" I tried my best not to sound too upset.

"Uncle RyRy comes home today," he informed me.

"I know baby," I told him. "It's almost time to get ready for school, buddy. Can you go back to bed for a few minutes?"

"I'm not tired," he sighed but got up and left the door cracked when he left.

I rolled over to face Rocky. We were forehead-to-forehead and I nuzzled his nose lightly. "Did you hear the news?" I whispered.

He grinned widely. "RyRy and Karlee come home today," he joked. I sighed and closed my eyes, hoping to get a little bit more peace before the chaos of the day started. My husband's warm, strong embrace was almost enough to get me back to sleep, until the alarm went off at 6 am. "Aw, shit," Rocky mumbled.

"Here we go," I said mostly to myself to prepare myself. I tossed the covers off of me and threw my legs over the bed. T minus ten hours.

We had this routine down to an exact art, and made it out the door in perfect time. Rocky had to go to the office for some last minute meetings, leaving me with Ellie to run my errands. I got groceries, paid a few bills, and had some free time to take Ellie to the park. I had to admit that time was going so slowly. I was excited as all get out to hear about the honeymoon. I texted Rydel to let her know that I was going to pick my own kids up and head straight to the airport.

Rocky and I met back up at home right in time to hop back in the car and get the kids. When they all piled into the car, the nonstop questions started again. "So we're going right now?!" Avelyn clapped excited. I turned around and raised my eyebrows, a nonverbal reminder to quiet down. "I'm so excited!" she nearly whispered. I rolled my eyes at her and Rocky caught that, making him laugh. The drama queen had no happy medium. She was either overly loud or dramatically soft.

"RyRy!" Ellie cooed to Mason in the backseat and he nodded.

"And Karlee," Carter reminded them. "I wonder if they brought us back something."

That's how the entire drive to the airport went. The kids went back and forth over their musings of the trip, the treats they hope to get, and who was going to get to hug their aunt and uncle first. Finally, right on time, we arrived in the pickup lot of the airport, an all too familiar place for us. When we saw the couple, all Hell broke loose in the back seats. Rocky and I hopped out to help with their bags.

Karlee hugged me so tight. "I'm so happy to see you," she squealed. She had gotten quite a bit of color from her trip; her skin nearly glowed. When we pulled away, I saw something different on her wrist. I pointed to it with my jaw dropped and she nodded. "We got matching tattoos!"

"You look so beautiful," I told her as I slid the back door open and let the kids at her. Then I popped the trunk before going over to the boys, who were definitely having a moment. "Excuse me," I cleared my throat, "but I need a hug right now."

"Jules!" Ryland smiled and pulled me into a hug tighter than Karlee's. He kissed my cheek before letting go. "How are things?"

"Pretty much the same," I nodded. He also had a bit of color to him, which suited him. "So, matching tattoos?" I asked him.

"Quite a commitment," Rocky said before he took his brother's arm and looked at the ink. "That's rad!"

"Pfft, commitment," Ry scoffed. "I just got married, dude. Commitment ain't shit." The boys laughed and carried on as they helped me load the bags into the trunk. Then Ry proceeded to get into the car and greet the kids. Mason moved into the very back with Avelyn and Carter so Karlee and Ryland could sit next to each other. "As much as I loved Spain, nothing beats L.A. I'm so glad to be home."

Karlee leaned her head on his shoulder and hummed in agreement. "It was so beautiful in Barcelona, Juli. It was everything I ever dreamed of and then some. But I'm glad we left before the dreamy feeling became ordinary."

"You think you'll go back someday?" I asked and they both yawned and nodded. "Rocky, we need to go to Spain," I told him.

"We definitely do," he replied. "So, are you guys ready for the real world?" he asked the couple.

"What do you mean?" Karlee asked.

"I mean, as soon as you step foot into your house, the real work begins. Married life is different than dating life, or engaged life, or honeymoon life." The two of them listened intently in the back as Rocky spoke. "When that honeymoon period wears off, things could get hard."

"Stop scaring them," I teased Rocky with a small tap on his thigh. "But really, guys. You have to be there for each other through everything. Thick and thin. Especially thin."

Karlee smiled softly at her husband. "I'm not afraid," he said to her. "Are you?"

"Not one bit," she replied. "I know you're gonna catch me if I fall."