Chapter 1

I heard the familiar sound of the baby monitor crackle and sat up from my position on the couch. I heard baby talk as well as words mixed in and I sighed to myself. "Ellie..." I smiled and stood up to go get my two-year-old from her nap.

I made my way up the stairs and checked my phone, two texts unread from during my nap session. One from Rocky reading, "I'll be home around five- can't wait to see that sexy little dress on you for our double date tonight. ;)"

I smirked to myself and texted back, "If you make it home a bit early you can guarantee a sneak peek."

Another text from Rydel, "It's my day to pick up the kids in case you forgot- I'll bring them home and I wanna visit with you!"I didn't answer her and nodded to myself as I looked at the time, '3:15'. They'd be home any minute now.

I opened Ellie's door and she smiled at me from her crib. "We overslept today Ells!" I giggled at her and pulled her out of her crib.

"Hi mommy," she said in her little voice. "Hi, hi, hi, hi, hi," she said over and over again. I changed her diaper quickly and brought her down stairs just as the front door opened.

"Hey guys!" I said happily. I smiled as my kids, Rydel's kids, and then a pregnant Rydel stumbled through the door one-by-one.

"Hey Mom," Carter hugged me and set his stuff down on the ground to grab his sister. "What's up Ellie," he said to her. I sighed at watching my 13-year-old son with my baby girl. Such sweet memories.

"Hey, Avelyn, you gonna give me a hug?" I asked her.

"I guess so," she rolled her eyes playfully at me and hugged me. "I got to bring home my third grade art portfolio today," she explained to me. "I'm gonna put it all out on the table for you and for daddy to see when he comes home."

I nodded to her and kissed her head. "Masey!! How was preschool?" I pulled my four-year-old into my arms and kissed him.

"Good. Mommy," he said to me, "I want a cookie."

"Not even a hello," I teased him and said hello to Alice, Brooke, and Rydel. "Anyone else want a snack?" I asked around.

A chorus of 'Yes' rang through the entryway and I turned with Rydel to walk into the kitchen. "How ya feeling?"

"I'm tired." She ran her hands through her hair. "I never felt this exhausted with the girls. This little boy must use all of his energy and mine." She rubbed her belly and took out a bottle of water.

"Things are different when you have a boy versus a girl," I giggled. "When I was pregnant with Avie-"

"Avelyn!" she called back. She was on this new kick about being mature and being called by her full name.

"Sorry baby," I apologized. "Avelyn and Ellie, I was sick the whole way through. But with the boys, I wasn't sick at all."

Rydel rolled her eyes. "How weird is it that our bodies react so oddly to other humans?"

"Well, how're they doing with it?" I pointed Brooke and Alice. Alice, who's 14, was on her phone looking intently at something and Brooke, 11, was watching Ellie play with her dolls.

"I think Brooke is excited." Rydel set her head in her hand and leaned on her elbow. "Alice thinks it's a bit odd. Just because she's like, a teenager, and I'm having a baby," she shrugged. "One of her friends in the grade above her is having a baby, which I think is just too odd."

"Oh dear God..." I sighed. "So young..."

"I know," Rydel shook her head. "But it's not my problem. Ellington keeps reminding me that when I get apprehensive about it."