Chapter 8

"I guess what I'm saying is that I expect complete and total honesty," Karlee said with a shrug. We were in the middle of our third counseling session with the couple, and they were going over their individual values. So far, they aligned with nearly everything they said. Rocky and I were on edge, just waiting for their first roadblock.

Ryland nodded thoughtfully at fiancée. "I wouldn't dream of anything different," he responded. "As long as you do the same for me." He scooted closer to her and took her hand in his. "No matter what it is, you can tell me anything."

"I know," she blushed. They shared a slow, intimate kiss.

It was a little too intimate; Rocky and I felt as if we should maybe leave the room to give them a little bit of privacy. Once the kiss was over, I started the dialogue back up again. "So honesty is an important value to both of you," I confirmed. "Anything else?"

"Family," Ryland said, still facing Karlee. "As you probably already knew," he added with a quick laugh.

Karlee smiled and nodded. "Introspection and spirituality are sort of important values to me," she informed us.

"Really?" Ryland sounded a bit surprised, but not at all in a bad way. He sounded genuinely interested to hear what she had to say.

"Mmhm," she hummed. "You know that alone time I take before bed? I meditate. It helps me feel connected to the world around me."

"That's cool," he replied. "I actually had no idea"

The doorbell rang and caused all four of us to jump in surprise. I looked over to Rocky. "Are you expecting someone?" I asked quietly as I got up. He shook his head no and shrugged.

"I got it," Carter yelled, speeding past me on the way to the door. He opened it and his friend Anna stood on the other side. A backpack hung off her shoulder and she carried a couple of poster boards in her arms. "Hey," he greeted her with his 'cool' voice.

"Did I forget that Anna was coming over or...?" I trailed off. There was a possibility Carter mentioned this to me and it had completely slipped my mind. I had been so wrapped up in wedding planning that it wasn't far fetched. "Not that I'm upset or anything, I just had no idea," I assured the sweet girl who was now taking off her shoes in my foyer.

"Who is it, babe?" Rocky called to me from the living room.

"Anna," I replied to him. He had no further questions.

"I hope it's okay that I'm here," she said to me. "We were going to work at my house but my sister had a sleepover last night and the house is overflowing with nosy little third graders."

Carter nodded and took some of the supplies out of her arms to help her. "So I said she could come over," he continued.

I couldn't be too upset. "I just wish you would've told me or dad," I told Carter. "But it's fine. You guys can use the dining room. Just let me clear some of the wedding things off of the table."

The two kids followed me as I spoke. "That's okay mom. I think we are going to go up to my room," Carter told me.

Rocky overheard that one and his dad senses kicked in. "Your mom said you can use the dining room," he said with an even tone. It wasn't a suggestion. I could tell that he meant it was their only option.

"We would prefer a little privacy..." was his reply. He made his way to the stairs with Anna in tow.

I knew exactly what this conversation was going to lead to, and I was hoping for his own sake and Anna's that Car would just listen to his dad and stay downstairs without any further arguments. "We won't bother you down here," I assured them.