Chapter 10

It had been nearly a month since we had started the premarital counseling for Ryland and Karlee, and honestly Rocky and I were surprised it took that long for them to have their first real argument. It was official: we had met a roadblock. The topic for this week was finances, and the couple were not in agreement. "How is it fair that you provide for everything?" Karlee asked, raising her voice for what might have been the first time ever in front of me. "That's sexist, Ryland. I can make money and provide for us and our future family, too."

"Babe, that's not what I was saying!" Ryland defended himself. He looked to me, pleading for help. I took Rocky's hand and nodded at our clasped hands, signalling for him to follow my lead. He got the hint and wrapped his hand around his love's. "Karlee, I'm sorry I made you upset. I just make more money than you, so it only makes sense."

That was the wrong way to say that, I thought to myself. Karlee rolled her eyes and continued to tell him why he was wrong. I winced and turned my head away, leaning it on Rocky, who was playing anxiously with his wedding band. "Do we say something?" he whispered into my ear.

"No," I replied. "They've got to learn how to work this stuff out. I think they're doing alright. No one's yelling or crying, so... " I shrugged and he nodded.

The high tension from the couple only added to the chaos of our household. Brooke and Alice were still at our house, worrying about their mother. Rydel had been in labor for the longest she had ever experienced, and it was agonizing not only for her, but for her family. The girls kept asking us to take them to the hospital, so we pushed up our counseling session to give us more time.

Avelyn was closer than ever to meeting her goal of taking care of Ellie until naptime today. There was a lot of hollering and crying from both girls, but they were starting to get along and work together. The older girl paced in the upstairs hallway, struggling to calm the toddler in her arms. "I don't know how much longer I can do this, mommy!" she hollered down to me.

I had to admit it was really funny to watch how determined she was. "She's cranky because it's nap time," I called back up to her, giving her a hint as to what to do.

"Ahh!" was the audible response from the girl, the sound that the lightbulb in her head finally went off. She carried the girl her bedroom and I could hear her starting to read a book out loud.

Carter, in the meantime, was upstairs already fussing about his first date. It was two days away, yet he had to have everything perfectly planned. Mason thought he would help by going through all the clothes in the drawers, leaving a mess of unfolded clothes on the floor.

I turned my attention back to the couple, who were finally reaching a compromise. "So we can have a joint checking account, where we both put some of our paychecks into. We can pay bills from there. That way, it's both of our money," Ryland said. He sounded absolutely exhausted.

"And we can still have private accounts for our spending money," Karlee agreed. "But we need to start a savings together. Maybe we can get a Certificate of Deposit and earn more interest. It wouldn't hurt."

Ryland shrugged and nodded. "Have I ever told you that I love you?" he asked with a cheeky smile.

She leaned her forehead against his and batted her eyelashes. "Once or twice," she giggled. "And I love you, pumpkin."

"Awww," I smiled. "You guys did it."

"Did what?" they asked in unison.

"You made it over your first bump in the road together," I clapped my hands together.

"Nice touch with the hand holding, my brotha," Rocky added.

"Learned from the best," Ry replied.