Chapter 21

"Are you sure painting is gonna make a difference?" Rocky asked me skeptically.

"Of course it will," I told him confidently, "I was reading that book and it said calm colors and small amounts of clutter calm down kids with autism." I was sure of myself on these things.

"I trust you." He put his hands up in surrender, "And I'm more than happy to have a family project." He looked over at our team of workers.

Carter had invited Anna over, Ryland and Karlee had volunteered to help, and Mason, Avelyn, and Ellie were more than excited to get their hands dirty. "Okay," I told them all, "We've got three rooms. The play room, Mason's room, and the Movie room, which we've been wanting to paint a darker color anyway." I said with a smile. "Who's up for what?"

"I wanna paint my room..." Mason raised his hand.

"I wanna paint the play room!" Avelyn exclaimed. "Why do we have to paint it anyways?"

"Because it's just time to repaint it... It's been green for the entire time we lived here." I told her.

"Okay I guess..." She pouted and looked over to her uncle, "Will you paint with me Ry Ry?"

"Of course I will." He told her with a smile.

"I'll paint the Media room." Carter raised his hand, "Anna can help me." He nudged her and she smiled at us.

"If that's okay..." She said quietly.

"That's perfectly fine." I told her, "Karlee, which would you like to do?"

"I'll paint the media room with them if you guys don't mind?"

"Super cool," Carter nodded and took Anna by the hand to bring her into the large room. Karlee kissed Ryland's cheek and left with them.

"Ellie, where do you wanna go?" I asked her, "You know you'll be taking a nap soon anyways right?"

"I'm a big girl!" she said, "I wanna see Ry Ry."

I looked up at him, "You think you can handle the two of them?"

"Pshhh," He waved away the idea, "I've got this. Come on guys." He brought them out with him across the hall to the play room.

"Alright..." I turned to Mason and Rocky, "I guess it's just the three of us."

Mason raised his hand, "Actually... I changed my mind." He raised his eye brows, "Can I paint the movie room?"

"You don't wanna paint your own room buddy?" Rocky asked him.

He shrugged, "Not really... Karlee's more fun." He smiled and ran out of the room.

Rocky laughed and faced me, "I guess we're all alone in here then." He picked up the paint can and began to pour some of it into the pan. He rolled some paint onto the roller and began to move it up and down along the wall. We were turning this bright, yellow room into a light grey room with little furniture. "You're sure this will make a difference?" Rocky asked me.

"I'm sure of it." I nodded and continued to paint the edges of the doorway. "We'll put his bed back, we can take away that book shelf and put it in the play room, that'll take away some clutter. And we can put that hammock in that he's been asking for."

"That's a good idea." Rocky agreed. "We should think about how we wanna arrange the other rooms too."

"I've got plans drawn out if you wanna see them." I told him with a small smile. I was way prepared.

Rocky sighed loudly and looked over at me across the room, "It's kinda strange how all of this has affected us."

"What do you mean?" I questioned.