Chapter 20

If I was being honest, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was go to this dress fitting. Unfortunately, I couldn't put it off anymore. The appointment had been set in stone over a month ago and the wedding was approaching quickly, so this was just one more thing to cross off of my to do list. If I had it my way, I would have used this Saturday morning to try and catch up on some lost sleep. Who was I kidding? That would never happen in my house.

Rydel and I drove together to the boutique with my two girls and her baby boy in the back. I think I might have actually gotten the short end of the stick with that one. Rocky took the two boys with him and the guys for their tuxedo fitting. Mason was having a pretty good day, and I hadn't gotten any alerting texts from my husband, so I assumed everything was still going alright. Carter was the easiest kid to have around, so Rocky's morning should go smoothly.

I ended up with the toddler who liked to touch everything and climb onto every surface because she was a "big girl". Avelyn had toned down her sass a little bit in the past week, but she was still a spitfire who could push all of my buttons. Since she was getting to try on her flower girl dress for the first time today, she was extremely excited.

"I feel like a princess!" Avelyn exclaimed as she looked at herself in the floor-length mirror and spun around.

I chuckled to myself and the rest of the ladies smiled in response. "Honey, you have to stand still so Ms. Macy can see what she needs to fix," I reminded her and she nodded. Macy, the seamstress, smiled appreciatively at me and began to take notes on the measurements. Once everything was in order, she told Avelyn she could take the dress off and that the boring part was all done. When the little girl protested, I sighed heavily. "Not today," I told her. "Please do as you are told." She hung her head and disappeared behind the dressing room curtain, and emerged a minute later with the dress in her hand and her regular clothes on once again. I handed her my phone and she played a game with Ellie on the couch while the rest of us tried on our dresses.

First in line were the bridesmaids. Jenna, Rydel, Andi, and myself each were given a beautiful dress, that was a darker grey with hints of blue in it,  in the size we requested and Karlee stayed out with the kids in the lounge area. Lee started to fuss, so she took him out of his baby carrier and held him close to her chest, humming to him until he was content once again.

Something had to have been wrong, though. I was sure I had given the right dress size when I was ordering the dresses, yet mine didn't feel right. It felt more loose than I thought it should. I zipped it up and walked out of the dressing area to see the rest of the ladies with their dresses looking flawless on them. Macy barely had to tinker with Andi's dress. Jenna's needed some taking in around her hips, and Rydel's needed to be fixed around her chest.

When Macy got to me, she noticed the same thing I did. "You asked for a size 12, right?" she asked. I nodded as she pinched and smoothed the fabric around my body and took some notes. "No problem," she said confidently. "I can have it fixed and ready for another fitting in a couple of weeks." I couldn't wait to get out of that dress. I was starting to feel really anxious.

When I took the dress off and hung it back on the hanger, I examined myself in the dressing room mirror. Could I really have lost that much weight in such a short amount of time? I didn't really look that different. With a shrug, I pulled my clothes back on and joined my kids on the couch.

"And now for the moment of truth," Macy smiled widely and Karlee jumped up giddily, handed Lee to Del, and disappeared behind the curtain.

Rydel sat down next to me and leaned over to whisper into my ear. "Are you okay?" she asked quietly. I had told her about Mason on the car ride over, but I may have neglected to inform her of the insane amount of moodiness and complete lack of appetite and loss of sleep that I was experiencing. I nodded and smiled weakly, but she wasn't buying it. "You better not be lying to me," she shook her head.