Chapter 2: A Tap On My Door

The following week was hell. Not only did I worry about Tracy every minute of every day, but my boss was right on my ass about every little thing I did wrong.

 "Sir!! I took care of him! Whatever bank fraud problem you’re having, I assure you it’s not from my districts!" I complained, trying to make him understand.

"Look Derek I'd love to believe you but here’s the case. Only people with the passcode information can get into our banking accounts. And the only people that have that information, or could obtain it with proper authority, are people that work here." 

"I understand that but-"

"No, you don’t apparently" he said, cutting me off mid sentence "There would have to be someone that could access our mainframe security and securely relocate our money into another safezone without it being tracked."

"Look, Sir, with all due respect, I think we need to have a proper investigation, I’m telling you that it’s not any of my districts, and I don’t think it ever was." I said, hoping he wouldn’t fire me for saying this "I think it’s been someone else all along, someone who can do all of those things, and frame other people for it."

 "We will put up an investigation, but Derek if you’re wrong, you’re going to clean out your office and find another job".

*click* I hung up the phone.

I swear, my boss is impossible, he never seems to understand the fact that there really is something wrong, and that he won’t be able to "save money" by taking care of it on his own.

"Well, on that note, I’m going to go try to figure out the problem." I said, standing up off of my kitchen table, and I started to walk to my bedroom. 

*tap tap tap*

I look around me.

*tap tap tap*

I look left.

*tap tap tap*

Looking right I saw a shadow of a person tapping what seemed to be a metal bar of some sort on my front door.

"Who is it?" I yelled.

"I...uh...it’s..." with that, the voice trailed off and the figure on the other side of the glass went away.

*creakkkk* I opened the door.

"Huh, they’re gone... that’s odd, it almost sounded like... no, it couldn’t be. Remember, she's changed, right?" I told myself.