Chapter 38

I increased the volume of my music, as an attempt to overtake the yelling from downstairs. When that failed I rolled my eyes.

How do they expect me to paint under these conditions?

I hadn't showered in days, I just wanted to perfect the forgery. So, I decided to jump into the shower.

I stood there slowly sliding the light blue coloured bar of soap against my olive skin - creating bubbles along the surface.

All I could hear were screams from downstairs. It was my family arguing about my fathers future. I could never be level-headed when it came to my father - dealing with him could make anyone lose their mind.

Everyone expected me to be all over the situation but honestly, I didn't have the energy. My family thought I was unstable. My baby cousin tried to kill himself, and everybody looked at me like I was struggling. I just wanted time to freeze so I could catch my breath.

I finally got out of the shower after a long hour. I put on a pair of black skinny jeans, my bulletproof vest (which no one in my family ever left the house without), my grey T-shirt that had born in the 80s in black bold letters. I wore a black leather jacket with a grey scarf around my neck and a grey knit cap on my head.

With that, I decided to go for a walk to get away from all that was happening at home. I walked to the subway station where I caught the 2116 around New York.

I would have been on that subway for hours - just going around the city. By the time I made it back to Brooklyn, it was around midnight.

Walking through the subway station I saw a familiar face in the distance. The man stood there wearing a lavish suit with a black trench coat over it.

He was the same suspicious character that I had seen at the cake store and outside the Jeremiah's mansion. Somehow, within a blink of an eye - he was gone.

"Taylor," a familiar voice greeted from behind me.

"Henry" I smiled at the fifty-year-old man that stood a few feet in front of me, wearing a trench coat and brown leather shoes.

The man had light brown hair, green eyes, and greatly resembled John.

"It's nice to see you Taylor" he wrapped his arms around me "what are you doing here this late?"

"I could ask you the same thing" I retorted. "I thought you were travelling through Europe"

"I was" he admitted.

"Than what brings you here?" I blinked curiously.

The man smirked."My son's wedding" He announced.

The man in front of me was Henry Loris, the father of John. He was in town for John and Vanessa's wedding that was taking place two days later.

I had been so preoccupied with the forgery and everything that the wedding had slipped my mind.

"Of course" I laughed "...do you need a ride or-"

"No thank you, I'm quite alright" Henry shook his head "I have a driver waiting outside"

"Alright" I nodded "you should come around some time...I know uncle Nate would love to see you"

"Yeah I'm actually going to go passed the Koleawiskis MC to see your father" he announced with sorrow in his eyes "perhaps tomorrow"

Uh yes, yet another person wanting to see my father.

I was dreading attending the wedding to be honest. I knew that every second person would look at me like that.

If one more person mentions my father or how I'm holding up, I'll shoot somebody.

"Do me a favour" I started "don't mention my father... Please"

"Taylor," Henry softened his gaze as brushing the back of his hand again my right cheek. "I understand...you don't want to talk about him but my dear you've got to or else it's gonna eat you alive"

"You guys are acting like..." I started in a hushed tone, "like I've never gone this long without hearing his voice...I can't miss someone that was never around to begin with."

"I see"

"I sound like a massive bitch" I looked down in shame.

"No" he shook his head. "I think you should talk to your family...They would do anything for you, you know"

"Yeah I know" I nodded.

"That includes your father" he half smiled, "It's the brain that messes everything up for us my dear" he placed his hand on my arm, "I guess you just need to learn how to listen to your heart"

With that I feel a single tear escape - I just knew that it was the first of many that night.

"We'll, I better head off before my uncle has my family out looking for me"

"That's a good idea" he nodded.

"Ill see you at the wedding" I hugged him, "take care"

"Take care" he smiled.

With that, we went our separate ways.

I walked through the subway station feeling better yet worse. I loved my family but some days I really didn't.

Once I got above the subway station I began walking through New York. Suddenly I felt a pair of big strong arms wrap around my throat - putting me into a sleeper hold.

No one was around me but this man behind me.

I didn't panic, uncle Nate taught us not to. I felt myself losing consciousness so I had to move fast.

I immediately used my right hand to go behind my back and grab the man's balls, with it I pulled as hard and as fast as I could. Using both hands, I released his arm from my neck, elbowed him in the stomach and continuously kneed his stomach. Than using the heel of my right hand, I hit his forehead - making him fall back.

I sighed in relief and turned my body around slowly - suddenly someone swings at my jaw. It was dark - so I couldn't see shit. I knew they were two tall fuckers. My eyes grew heavy before my body tumbled to the ground beside the man that I had knocked over a second earlier.

A beer bottle sits a foot away beside the trash can. i grab it quickly before jumping up onto my feet. I smash half the bottle against the street light. I swing my fit against the man that had hit me. The taste of my own blood filled my mouth and then began dripping down my lips. I flip him over my shoulder. He falls back, smashing his head on the cold concrete. I lunge for him. Pressing the top half of the broken glass bottle into his abdomen. I grunt then spit my bloody saliva beside his head.

I look down at the two bodies on the ground. One unconscious and the other dead.

Suddenly, a hand grips my hair dragging me towards him. I grab his wrist, twisting it quickly. He lets go. I lunge at him, my bottle in my right hand.

"Who sent you!" I screamed, looking into the man's cold eyes. "Who sent you!"

He wouldn't answer. I swing the bottle towards his chest just as someone kicks my back. I fall forward. The man behind me pulls my hair, lifting my face from the concrete before pressing a cloth against my nose and mouth.

Then it all went black.