Chapter 12

I remember waking up to silence. Complete and utter silence. That was rare in my household. I lived with so many people, so when it was quiet, you know something's wrong.

That's when Uncle Nate and Aunt Kat entered the room.

"Morning Taylorina," he greeted.

"Morning," I said cautiously as he took a seat beside me, while Aunt Kat stood behind him.

At that moment he pulled out my bottle of sleeping pills, from under the table. Our eyes locked. 

"How long have you been having trouble sleeping?" Aunt Kat asked.

"Since Jason's funeral," I admitted slowly, looking down at my hands.

"Why didn't you say something?" Uncle Nate asked.

I glared at him "What difference would it have made?" 

There was a moment of silence as my uncle then pulled out another bottle of sleeping pills. My eyes widened in disbelief.

"I for one prefer this brand," he said with a straight face.

"Uncle Nate?" I raised my brows.

It turned out, my uncle lived with his secrets.

"I haven't slept without drugs since that night also." Uncle Nate admitted, "I have this constant ache in my chest...sometimes it's so bad I get Kat to check my heart"

Aunt Kat nodded behind him, with sadness in her eyes.

"How did I not know about this?" I blurted out.

Uncle Nate's insomnia and mental health issues were something that I thought that I would be able to see, I was wrong.

That's when his face lit up with anger.

"because this family keeps everything buried...Jason was my child Taylorina, my child! The only reason why I didn't tell you about your mother and sister was so you didn't get mixed up with the Larrunzario's like Jason did"

"I deserved to know!" I screamed with anger.

"I know" he nodded, "but if I had the choice, I would do it all over again! If it meant keeping you safe" I shook my head violently.

"Keep me safe?" I cocked a brow, "my own father sold me to them in order to clear his debts! Maybe you should have tried harder keeping him in line—"

"That's enough" aunt Kat ordered calmly.

"We're the same you and I, Taylorina" Uncle Nate met my gaze firmly.

His words sent a shiver down my spine. "I'll never be like you," I said slowly, almost under my breath.

"Oh, Taylorina you already are" his voice hit me like a dagger, sharp and painful.

"Taylor, when was the last time you slept properly" Aunt Kat asked.

"Besides last night? Since Norway. When Michael sedated me" I admitted.

"We think you were suffering from sleep depreciation, hence what happened last night" aunt Kat explained as slowly removing the restraints from my body. "I don't think you're a danger to yourself"

If it were a few months earlier I would have stayed in that bed, too afraid to walk away from uncle Nate. If it was the night before, I would have pulled out my magnum. But at that moment, I got up and walked away.

I walked outside to the front of my family's mansion to get some fresh air. In the distance, I could see the high black gate, that acted as protection from the outside world. I roughed up my hair nervously with my fingertips than pulled at the ends of my blue sweater.

They don't see it, the papers, the lawyers, the cops, none of them see what its like to be an Ashton. It was rare for one of us to get sloppy and actually get caught by the police but when we did, they're all over it.

For someone who was untouchable, I sure as hell afraid of getting hurt.

My entire forehead felt sore, after being smashed against the floor. After fifteen or so minutes, I re-entered the quiet house to find it completely empty.

Where is everybody? I wondered.

I climbed up the staircase quickly which lead me to my bedroom. My eyes locked with the man who stood by the window.

"Taylor, what happened to you?" Gabe asked fearfully, walking to my side, placing his hands onto my jaw.

I could feel his heart beating quickly, that's how close we were standing. He wore a grey absent slump hooded tall singlet with black track pants. His chocolate brown hair was styled as usual, and his brown eyes looked genuinely concerned.

"What did your family say about you being away so long?" I asked, disregarding his question.

"They didn't notice I was gone," he admitted.

He looked behind me to see the bathroom door broken down. Gabe's eyes widened, redirecting his gaze at me.

"Who did this?" He furrowed his brows, "was it them?" He made a bunch of hand gestures that implied my family.

"My family ain't crazy Gabe" I cried, "Can you just go? Please"

"Taylor" he folded his arms.

"My father's home okay! I don't need you anymore" I snapped.

"....Did my family do this?" He looked at my bruised swollen face.

"Gabriello!" I screamed in annoyance.

"What do you want me to say? You look like shit!" He threw his arms in the air. "....I just want to help you"

"Will you stop trying to help me! You're supposed to be one of the bad guys, so acts like it!" I snapped.

"If I were one of the bad guys, you would have shot me by now" Gabe lowered his voice.

"Well, I would but my family confiscated my gun!" I clenched my jaw. "...Leave now," I said softly, "I live with a zillion other people, someone's bound to come in here"

Gabe shut his eyes for a split-second, half-smiling to himself.

"Right," he turned around and walked towards the window.

He was amused by my statement. This immediately made me curious. Gabe knew where the hell my entire family were.

"You know where they are don't you?" I raised my brows.

"Maybe" he smirked as movie half his body out the window "Maybe not"

"Gabriello!" I begged desperately.

I had no idea how Uncle Nate managed to get everybody out of the house, but at that point, it was more concern then curiosity.

"I would tell you, But I'm one of the bad guys remember" he slightly smiled, making me roll my eyes. ".....Downstairs"

My eyes widened "and my sister? Right now, where the hell is she?"

"34th street," Gabe informed, "see you around, Ashton" he let go of the window seal, allowing him to drop onto the pavement.