Chapter Seven: Temptation

Chapter Seven

Diana's P.O.V. 2012

        "Dinner's ready!" My mom yells from the kitchen. My stomach churns roughly inside of me. This is it. This is the time for me to begin. If I don't start now, I never will. Taking my headphones out of my ears, I slide off of my bed slowly and pull up the baggy sweatpants around my waist. As I pass by, I catch a glimpse of my body in the mirror. I don't dare to look any longer. 

        When I reach the kitchen, my family is sitting happily at the table. They're already eating without me. In all honesty, I never expect anything else. They always do things without me. One time, they left me at church, not even realizing that I wasn't with them. What makes this any different?  

         "Come eat with us, sweetie," my mom encourages. "I made your favorite." 

         I know she did. I could smell it all the way from my room. She had made ramen noodle stir fry with her homemade fried egg rolls. The whole entire meal screamed fattening. I could almost see the fat sitting on the plate. I need to come up with a lie and a good one.

       "That looks really good mom. I can't eat though. I think something made me sick at lunch." My mom buys it to my surprise. She orders me to take some Pepto Bismol and I do. Then, I head back to my room. 

       So far everything is going to plan. 

                                                                                *****

       After dinner my parents turn on the television and started watching The Big Bang Theory. Of course, they didn't ask me to join them. It was for the better. Every time we watch TV as a 'family' a snack is always required such as cookies or popcorn. I couldn't let those tempt me. I had too much to lose. 

       After a while, I decide to log onto Facebook and check my messages. Obviously, not a lot of people talked to me but it was the only way of communication I had. When I sign in, my notifications flash brightly in the right corner of the screen. The number one hundred and nine stares at me. I am certainly not that popular. 

       Clicking on the number, I am automatically directed to another page. At the top reads, " We Hate Diana." My heart stops in my chest. I should log out right now. I should tell someone. I don't need to read all of the comments. I do, though. 

       Nearly everyone who commented on that page had tagged me in it. They wanted to make sure I see it. Kids names from all over school were plastered on that page. Even people I didn't know had commented. 

       ' I don't even really know her but I've seen her around school. She'd be pretty if she lost almost all her weight. Seriously, put down the sandwich!" 

       ' Diana is a human bowling ball. Her face looks like a hamster! The only difference is a hamster actually runs!" 

       Tears well up in my eyes. All these people were saying things like this and I didn't even know them. My heart feels like it's going to explode. Why would these people say these things about me? I continue to search on the page. This time, I look for people I know. 

       I can't find anyone for a while until I get to one of the very first posts.

       ' I've tried being friends with Diana but she's completely out of my league. She's a sweet girl but who really cares? She is short, fat, and ugly. Seriously, how hard is it to say no to a candy bar. Honestly, I wish she would starve herself so we could actually be friends. No food tastes as good as being skinny.' 

       The tears finally spill over. I can't stop them from falling. It is too late now. I kept re-reading that comment over and over with blurry eyes. 

       No food tastes as good as being skinny.

       Being skinny.

       Rachel had commented that, but she was right. I am huge and no one really cares about my personality. This is 2011, not the old ages.

       Suddenly, the hunger that was sounding in my stomach disappears. Not one more piece of food would enter my mouth if I could help it.

       All temptation was gone.