Chapter Six: New Years Resolution

Chapter Six

Diana's P.O.V. 2011

       "So, Diana, what is your New Year's Resolution?" Rachel asks twirling a piece of her newly dyed blonde hair. To stop being made fun of. Instead, I reply with something else; something that was less "attention seeking" as she liked to say. At least, that's what she said I was doing when I told her about the bullying. 

       "I don't know. I would like to get straight A's all year." Rachel laughs, throwing back her blonde head. Cocking my eyebrow, I wait for her to finish cackling before I question it. All I have to do is look at her and she sighs. 

       "I don't know. Shouldn't you do something else like lose weight? I mean, you are known as the largest and geekiest girl in the school." 

       "What did you just say?" I ask, stopping in the middle of the hallway. 

       Someone runs into me. Of course, a stream of vulgarities leave his mouth. Nothing I haven't heard before, but it still hurt as much as the first time; even worse. Rachel doesn't say anything. Not even a feeble support system for what the guy said. She just stares at him with stars in her eyes. The boy swipes his dark hair out of his eyes then winks at her. Coolly, he walks away. Rachel's eyes follow after him. 

       "Um...nothing. We'll talk later. That hottie was totally into me, bye!" 

       With that, Rachel takes off down the hallway, her little heels clicking behind her. Why am I still friends with her? Oh yeah, because no one else wants to be friends with a fat ugly pig. 

                                                                                         *****

       The school bench chills me through my jeans. It's never cold during the winter here, so this is a major surprise. This is the coldest winter Florida has seen in a long time. I couldn't say I enjoyed it. There was no way of keeping my mind off of the frigid temperature, even with Miss Suzanne Collins. I was completely obsessed with The Hunger Games. Suddenly, someone sits down next to me and I nearly gasp.

       Directly beside me was Spencer Reeves my long time crush for nearly a year. To say I am surprised is an understatement. Spencer is completely gorgeous and smart and funny. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, sadly. Even so, why is he sitting next to me? He hasn't acknowledged me since- well, ever.  

       "Hey, Diana." 

       My heart jumps into my throat. Was he really talking to me? Yes, he is! Don't be stupid. Say something! 

       "Oh, hey, Sp- Spencer." I reply with an obvious stutter and my lisp, clearly evident with my shaky voice. Stay cool. Stay cool. Let him do most of the talking and you'll be fine. 

       "So, I heard something from your friend, Rachel, and I just want to see if it's true." 

       His smile is so beautiful. He has straight, white teeth and these beautiful blue eyes that contrast with his dark skin. I would basically do anything for him. So obviously, I tell him to ask away. 

       "Rachel told me you have a massive crush on me. Is that true?" 

       I'm positive that my heart stops beating in my chest. If I could have a superpower it would definitely be invisibility. 

       Say something, Diana. don't be an idiot.

       "Oh, um... yeah, it is." I say wishing to be anywhere but here at the moment: in class, home, Antarctica; almost anything will suffice right now. He smiles. 

       "Cool, cool. Listen, I am flattered. I really am and you're a nice girl but you just aren't my type." 

       Yeah, Antarctica sounds good. 

       "What do you mean?" I question stupidly. 

       "I mean, I'm into pretty girls. You know what I mean, Diana. The ones who are taller, thinner, and not so awkward. The ones who are completely different from you. I mean, you've gotta' admit. You're huge." 

       I don't stay to listen to his harmful words. Instead, I take my bag, everything and I take off running.  I don't care to where I run as long as I get away from him. 

       He's right you know.

      Shut up. 

       You are fat and ugly. Why don't you just admit it? Try losing some weight.

      I've tried and none of it has worked.

       But, you know there's another way. 

      No, I'm not going to do that. 

       But you know, the sad thing is that I want to do it. I want to do what I was suggesting. I mean, I  wouldn't do it for long. Just lose twenty pounds or so then stop. I didn't have to starve myself forever. 

      That's right, it's not forever. 

      I think I just found a New Year's Resolution that Rachel would approve of. 

*Author's Note*

Hey everyone! I can't believe that this story is nearly at 2K reads. I was honestly just starting this story because I felt like it was an issue that needs to be talked about. Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I apologize for it being so short but this was the only way I could think of to get this story really rolling. I have a huge favor to ask you. Could you guys vote, comment, share and fan even more? I feel like this story is going to be something big but I can't do it without your help. So, if you follow me, vote, and comment. I will follow you and comment on your stories. If you give a shout out I will dedicate a chapter to you and follow you. I know that may be a lot to ask but I am really hopeful for this novel. I love you guys so much. Thank you for everything. 

Shelby F. x