Losing Cyan Ch.21

*

His knocks startled her, causing her body to jump as it was torn from sleep's clutches. She was buried within her thick blankets, her body heavy and shaking, her throat burning dry, her breath stinking of vomit, and her chest cold and numb. She slightly moved her head, flinching at the soreness.

"...H-H-he...llo?" She croaked.

"Cyan, do you know where Zethan is?" Nel asked.

"...N..o." She said. "....last...I saw, h..he was with Renne.."

She heard Nel smack his lips in irritation behind the door.

"Okay, he was probably invited to that party...I'm going out to get him. Would you like any dinner, or maybe a snack?"

"...no." She said, feeling sick at the mention of food.

Cyan's eyes weighed themselves down, fatigue grasping at her just as there was a momentary silence.

"--ou okay?"

She forced herself awake again.

"..hm?"

"Are you okay?"

She stared at the wall before her, her eyes shutting.

"...I'm....really tired."

"Oh...okay. Get a good sleep. I'll go get Zethan back."

Cyan listened to the lonely house creak as he left.

The dust had begun to build up, the air becoming dank. It was as if allowing Cyan's door to open...allowing her to step out and open up her windows...it had opened the doors to her disease.

She recalled Eris and Deric. This had been their house, their family, their life. Now Deric had lost both of his daughters, one dead, the other missing.

Eris.

Was she okay? In the clutches of the Prince, wasn't she scared? Zethan said that even the ground where she stepped would be worshipped, every golden strand of hair polished---but did she prefer that to her normal high school life? Didn't she want to come back to her boyfriend, to her friends?

Cyan felt her eyes pool up again.

None of her deepest sighs could offer even a shrivel of comfort. She could only keep quiet and pretend she had nothing to do with anything. She was just cold in her bed, staring at every crack and bump of the dingy wall.

He left with Renne, didn't he?

Of course he did. He went to that party.

....the party.

She shook her head of the memory.

What's the matter rag-doll?

Cyan jumped up, falling off of her bed and scrambling away. She stumbled up to her feet, flinging the door open and running down the stairs as the Prince's laugh echoed in her mind.