Mark ch.11

*

The figures towered tall over her, like dark shadows that she never saw the faces of. She held herself closer, her shoulders sinking in their spot, her chest tightening, her eyes lowered, her legs taking up as little space as possible. She clenched her lips shut, stepping lightly and carefully.

The group watched as the shrinking girl tiptoed across the Splinter crowd. She made not a noise, not a disturbance, not a murmur. Her footsteps seemed to glide above the ground, like a feather carried by the wind. A cold lump of suspense held their breath, their silence deathening.

Soon enough, the creature stepped into the crowd as well, and the silence was broken.

The Silent Splinters crawled to the monster--their limbs crackling with every move. They gathered round it, stabbing their limbs into its legs. The monster hissed and yowled, attacking what Splinters it could, but ultimately running off back in the direction the man left. Cyan ran to the group on the other side, wiping some sweat off her brow.

"The thing would've followed us..." She murmured, looking up nervously at all the stares she was recieving.

Brin and Zethan crossed the river once more, and Zethan stomped up to Cyan.

"What the hell was that!? Cyan--you can't just be ignoring my commands all the time!"

Despite the anger in which he glowered down at her with, her eyes only held the blood on his arms. There were large gashes on his shoulders and forearms, with one large swipe cutting his abdomen. Cyan teared up at his wounds.

"I-I-I'm sorry. That man was here for me.."

She wiped at her tears quickly, and as Zethan was about to yell at her once more she took his face in her hands.

"The thing won't follow us anymore." She clarified, her wet black eyes staring at Zethan's. "So you can relax." She smiled softly.

Zethan scoffed and turned, his face irritated. How dare she, he thought, how dare she act as if I'm the one who was in danger.

Brin hugged Cyan, her sky blue eyes teary. She gazed up at her as they walked side by side.

"Creator--how did you know to be that silent?? Your feet were floating, you looked like an apparition!"

Cyan only smiled, her eyes on the ground.

Nel and Zethan glanced at each other. They knew the answer behind her skill. After all, she had been doing just that for years. Nel thought back, to when he was hunting Cyan. The compass had sometimes swerved around so quick that Cyan must've just passed. But he didn't notice her until she was pinned to a bookshelf by the neck.

Nel slowed and walked alongside Cyan. He stared down at the ground for a while, hesitating.

"....Cyan." He said.

Cyan glanced up at him nervously, turning back down to the ground. He stared at her for a moment, the question stuck in his mind.

"What are you going to do about school?"

She seemed to shrink at the word. She fumbled with her fingers as her head bent lower.