Chapter 28

That night we spent I stayed at Zak’s house… the bed here was way more comfy than the one in his motel room, that’s for sure. He threw a black t-shirt at me and it hit me right in my face. He laughed and I just rolled my eyes. “So kind.” I mumbled as I slipped the shirt I was wearing off. 

His t-shirt was like ten sizes too big for me, but I loved oversized t-shirts and this one smelt like him, minty and earthy and just him. I slid my pants off and threw them wherever I threw my shirt. I climbed into bed and a sigh of content escaped me as I laid back on the pillow. 

I watched Zak as he stripped down to nothing but his underwear. I was entranced by the way his body worked, his defined muscles that rolled under his skin anytime he moved. The contrast of his tattoos against his golden-tan skin was breathtaking. He really was beautiful, and the realization that I was the one he wanted hit me like a ton of bricks. Out of all the women this man could have, why me? What did I do to deserve this god among men? I didn’t want to question it, fearing that I might lose him. 

He smirked at me when he noticed I was staring, I just shook my head slightly, not even trying to fight the smile that spread across my lips. He dropped his shirt on the floor then literally jumped into the bed, making me bounce. I laughed as his body hit the bed, making the springs squeak beneath us. I looked over at him and he had a dopey smile on his face. I rolled onto my side and laid my hand against his chest. I could feel his heart beating as I conformed myself against him. He rested his chin on the top of my head as his hand ran up and down my back, soothing me. 

“You know I’ll do anything for you right?” He asked, the seriousness in his voice caught me off guard. 

“Yes...” I breathed out.

“I love you, Angel.” He whispered against the top of my head. 

My heart skipped a beat as his words washed over me, and then fear struck me. Did I love him? I mean sure, I was willing to do anything for him, but I never actually stopped and thought about if I actually loved him. He’s the first guy that’s ever made me feel this way; the first guy that’s made me feel special, loved even. He made me forget how to speak and made my heart feel like it was going to jump out of my chest any time he looked at me… but did I love him? I did. And that’s the part that scared me more than anything. I was in danger right now with Abaddon out there and after me. What if the demon did anything to Zak? I wouldn’t be able to live with myself…

“Amaryllis?” His soothing voice brought me out of my thoughts. 

“I love you too, Zak.” I said as I looked up at him. Our eyes connected and his were full of so many emotions that I couldn’t decipher them all. He leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. The kiss was soft, but it said everything that we couldn’t, and with that I fell asleep with a smile on my face. 

~Dream~

I was standing in what looked like an apartment, a place I’ve never been before. I looked around the room; it was your average apartment, a small kitchen connected to a decent sized living room, and a hallway that led back to what I was going to assume was a bathroom and possibly two bedrooms.

I was suddenly aware that I wasn’t in a physical body, but more of a spirit form. The sound of movement from down the hall caught my attention. “Hello?” I tried to say, but I couldn’t speak… no words would come out no matter how hard I tried. I floated down the hallway, seeking the source of the noise.

I came across a bedroom with the door slightly opened. I peeked inside, and what I saw is something that will haunt my mind forever. Abaddon was leaning over a familiar form, his piercing red eyes looking down at the figure. I tried to scream, tried anything to get the person’s attention, but nothing would work. I pushed through the door and got closer to the person lying in the bed, but I stopped in my tracks… It was Dustin.