Chapter 13

I stood there and watched in horror as the car didn’t even slow down, they just ran right through him. Wait… through?! The man just continued to stare at me in wonder. He was a ghost, it all made sense now. I soon realized that the man was walking toward me so I hurriedly got into my car. He appeared right by my window as I shut the door. 

“You can see me!” He yelled through the glass. I didn’t look at him; I didn’t want to deal with spirits at the moment. I just wanted to get my coffee. “Hello?! You can see me!” He repeated even louder. I let out a sigh and rolled down my window. 

“Yes I can see you.” I said emotionless. 

“Why? No one else can see me.” He wondered out loud. 

“It’s because I have this ‘gift’ I can see and speak with spirits.” I told him. “So why are you stuck here on earth? Shouldn’t you have moved on?” I asked him. 

“Yeah, well you see I don’t really know what happened. I didn’t even know I was dead until yesterday. I guess I died in a car crash on the way home from work a couple days ago. I’ve been trying to get my wife’s attention, she’s been distraught over my death. I just wanted to tell her something, I feel once I let her know I’m okay, then I’ll be able to move on… I think.” He stated. 

I sucked in a deep breath and thought about whether I should help him or not. My conscious got the better of me, damn me and always trying to do the right thing. I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding. “Okay, well I need to get some coffee in me before I try and actually speak to the living today. And I have plans later, so uhm… I’ll meet you back here later tonight and you can tell me where to find your wife, and then I’ll try and talk to her tomorrow. Okay?” I decided. 

He smiled and nodded in agreement. “Thank you so much! I’ll see you tonight.” He said as he vanished. I sighed and backed out of my driveway. Thank god I called in to work the day before the lockdown and took a weeks vacation. I hummed along to the music as I drove to Starbucks. There weren’t very many people on the road at 8:30 on a Saturday morning. I was thankful for that; sometimes people can be really stupid. I pulled up into the parking lot and parked the car. It was almost 9 now, and it wasn’t busy… yet.

I pushed through the front entrance, making the bell above the door jingle. My co-worker Cathy looked up from behind the counter and smiled. “Good morning Amaryllis! I wasn’t expecting you to come into work until next week?” She questioned. 

“Yeah, I’m just here for some coffee.” I smiled at her. 

“Ah, what would you like?”

“Erm… A mocha cookie crumble. I could use some chocolate right now. Oh and I’ll have a cinnamon roll too.” I said. She nodded her head and I gave her the cash. She quickly got my drink ready and took it and my cinnamon roll to a table near the front window. I sat down and sipped at my drink, god was it delicious. I took a bit of my cinnamon as my stomach growled in hunger. I took out my phone and scrolled through facebook, I have no idea why, nothing interesting ever happens on there. 

I was reading a post one of my friends made when I heard the bell jingle behind me. I didn’t care to look at who it was. I just continued looking at my phone. The person walked up to the counter and ordered. I heard the blender start and the noises of Cathy getting the drink ready. Next thing I knew, the strange person sat down with me. I looked up and was surprised to see Aaron sitting in front of me with that goofy grin of his. I couldn’t help but smile upon seeing him. 

“Good morning Aaron, you scared me when you sat down. I thought some man was here to rape me.” I laughed, he chuckled. 

“Good morning to you too. What are you doing up so early?” He asked. The memories of me waking up in tears after my dream came flooding back. I felt my cheeks heat up.