Chapter 20

"So tonight is the get together in town, Brett." Mary stated as we all sat down for dinner. It was only five o'clock but I guess this family is used to eating early.

"Oh really? I think I'll stay home."

"Brett, I'm sure Gertrude would love to go."

"I think it's best if we stay away from everyone until tomorrow. I don't want any unwanted attention tonight."

"But Brett...." I butted it. "If the town sees us together and how much we love eachother, then it might do some good."

Brett looked at me and smiled. He nodded and placed my hand ontop of mine. "Alright. If you want to go, then we'll go."

"But you two would just be promoting students to date their teachers." Jake rudely interrupted. Brett glared at him and then stood up and walked away.

"I'm not letting you ruin my life, Jake.". He mumbled as we went upstairs.

"Jake Singer, if you upset my son one more time I will personally Kick your butt onto the next plane to your parents house. Is that understood?". Mary scolded.

Make slid down a little into his chair. "Yes ma'am."

"Good. Now we're all going to the get together tonight and we're all gonna get along. Gertrude, when you're finished eating go upstairs and get changed. I left a dress hanging in the bathroom for you to wear. Now I know you're too old to be told how to dress, but trust me on this, this is the kind of place wear you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb."

"That's right, Gertrude. At our get togethers we dress in traditional western clothes. Puffy dresses and all.". Jake said.

"Really? Even you?" I joked. "I'm finished. I'll go get changed. See you all soon.". I got up from the table and went upstairs to mine and Brett's room.

I found Brett laying in bed in a cowboy outfit...leather vest, checkered long sleeve shirt, and tight jeans....he looked soooooooooooo good. He was also reading reading a book, but he put it down when he heard me come in.

"Stare all you want, babe. You'll be seeing this all night."

Oh wow...I didn't even realize I was staring at him for that long. I rolled my eyes at him. "You're so conceded."

"I'm only telling the truth." he smirked.

"Whatever. Hey, your mom said that she left a dress hanging in the bathroom...exactly which bathroom is she talking about?"

"The one in here, obviously. It over there.". He said, chuckling and pointing to the door closest to the window.

"Oh. Well how was I supposed to know? I've only been here like...two days."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to laugh."

"Mhm.".

I walked into the bathroom and saw some Barbie outfit in my size. I took it down and walked out back into the bedroom, looking at the dress in disgust.

"Brett? Your mom expects me to wear THIS?". I asked, unbelievably. It was a red and white checkered dress with white ruffles and it was short.

"Yeah. That's how everyone dresses at the get togethers. The town thought it would be fun to dress in stereotypical outfits. So get changed. I can't wait to see you in it." he winked at me.

I glared at him and abruptly turned on me heels and walked back into the bathroom. I slipped on the 'dress'. In fact, it wasn't even a dress. It was half a shirt and a puffy skirt. The skirt reached just below my butt...I guess I can't bend over in this or else I'll flash everyone...and the shirt came just above my bellie button. It had puffy short sleeves with a white ruffle at the end of the sleeve and the top cut across my chest, showing a bit too much cleavage. Now THIS is the definition of Bambi. I guess I'll have to look like Bambi tonight. Hair down, no glasses, a bit of make up, and I'm done. I checked myself over in the mirror again and then walked out, striking a sexy pose for Brett. His eyes went wide and he literally jumped off the bed.

"Well? What do you think?"

"I...uhh...." he stuttered, lost for words.

"Bambi is back." I sang.

"w-wow. You know, maybe we should stay in tonight...I want you to myself.". He stated in a husky voice as he came up to me and pulled me up against his chest. He started kissing my neck and squeezing me tighter. I could tell he didn't shave today since his face was all scratchy against my skin, but to be honest, I kind of liked it. Then, just as it was getting good, someone cleared their throat, making us jump away from eachother. Mary was standing in the doorway along with Jake. I looked back over to Brett and he was just staring at them with wide eyes.

"Wow Gertrude. You. Look. Amazing.". Jake complimented with his tongue practically hanging out of his mouth.

"Thanks, Jake."

"Too bad Brett got to you first, otherwise I'd be the lucky one kissing you."

Brett intervened before I could say anything else. "Since when are you so nice? I bet this is another one of your tricks, isn't it?!"

"Dude, no tricks. I've changed since high school and trust me, I'm not gonna try to steal her away from you. To be honest, I have a girl of my own."

"Oh really? Who?"

"Molly? Can you come here?". Jake called downstairs. In no time we heard the pitter-patter of feet running up towards our room. Jake bent down and picked up a little girl with curly blonde pigtails and bright blue eyes, wearing a pink summer dress, smiling and giggling as Jake kissed her cheek. "Getrude, Brett,...this is Molly...my daughter."

"Daughter?" Brett asked, making sure he heard right.

"Yep. My daughter. Molly Anastasia Starr. Molly? Can you say hi to Daddy's friends?"

Molly waved and smiled at us. She was the cutest little thing in the world.

"Hey? Where's you Mommy at?". Jake asked Molly. Molly pointed downstairs. "Susan! Can you come up here?"

"How come you didn't tell me this before?" Brett asked, obviously annoyed at Jake.

"I wanted to have a little fun like old times. Mary here said it would be fine for a few days."

"Mom..." Brett scolded.

Mary shrugged. "At least now you know for sure that Gertrude is the one for you. Son, you actually fought for her and protected her. You didn't do that with the other girls."

"Yeah. You're right." He replied, giving me a big hug.

"So how old is Molly?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Molly, tell them how old you are." Jake instructed while putting Molly down on her feet.

"Free!" she squealed.

We all laughed. "It's three Molly, not free.". An unfamiliar voice corrected her. A blonde woman came into the room, giving Jake a kiss and putting a hand on her stomach. She was also wearing a stereotypical western dress, but her dress covered a lot more than mine did.

"Brett, Gertrude, this is my wife Susan. Susan, this is my old high school enemy Brett and his student/girlfriend Gertrude."

"Hi. It's nice to finally meet you both. It was pretty hard keeping Molly from running around the farm while Jake played this whole joke on you, which was mean in my opinion. And I see Gertrude is wearing me of my old get together dressed. It looks great on you, probably looks better than it did on me."

"Nonsense. You look beautiful in anything you wear, sweetheart.". Jake complimented.

"Oh, you know that's not true. I mean look at me. I'm as fat as a cow." she pouted.

"You're pregnant, Susan. Don't call yourself fat." Mary replied.

"I guess you're right. So are we all going or what? I'm tired of sitting around the guest house all day."

"Yes. We're leaving just as soon as those two are ready." Mary answered, pointing to me and Brett.

"I think we're both ready. Hey, where's Dad?"

"Oh he's not feeling well. He's staying in tonight. I think he may be catching a cold or maybe the flu. Either way he needs his rest. He works too hard for his age."

"Alright. So shall we get going?". Brett asked.

"Yes. Everyone in the truck. Susan, you sit up front with Jake. I'll sit in the back with Molly, Brett, and Gertrude. Hurry up. We don't wanna be late."